Chapter 5: Let's Get to Work

When I arrived to the lab Doc had already set up the prototype on Colonel Jameson. The sponsors stood adjacent to him with clipboards in their hands taking notes excessively. 

"Ah Peter just in time. Ladies and gentlemen this is my associate Mr.Parker who helped me design Prototype 1." He explained. 

I shook hands with the sponsors before assisting the Doc.

"Peter if you would, explain to them the process?" Doc instructed.

Before I could even open my mouth the door to the lap opened and numerous men walked in the door.

"What is the meaning of this?!"Doc shouted.

Suddenly the men that entered the room began packing up all of the lab materials.

"Oh Otto you really think I'd just let you steal my work?" A voice inquired. 

Another man entered the lab wearing a clean suit. It was Norman Osborn. 

"Norman? What is the meaning of his?" Doc demanded to know.

Norman then turned to the sponsors.

"Doctor Octavius here used to work for me at OSCORP. He was under contract to produce his robotic prosthetics for OSCORP and no one else, even if he quit." Norman explained. 

"Is this true Doctor?" One of the sponsors inquired.

"By signing this contract the Doctor resolved all rights to his work to OSCORP." Norman explained as he pulled out the file from his brief case and handed it to the sponsors.

"I'm sorry Doctor but we can no longer fund your work, what you're doing here is illegal." The sponsor stated.

"You can't do this Norman! I only quit because you wanted to use my work to create another -" Doc tried but Norman cut him off.

"You had full funding with me at OSCORP, all the resources you needed yet you decided to quit because I demanded results when you just wanted to play around in your lab! I confiscating all of your work Otto everything here is under the property of OSCORP." He explained. 

"You can't do this! This is my life's work! Please!" Doc begged as his lab was being ripped apart. 

"Mr. Osborn please there has to be some exception you can make." I begged.

"Oh Peter its such a shame you got stuck in a place like this. You have the brain to do great things! Even change the world if you wanted to! You will always have a place at OSCORP if you wanted to continue this kind of work." Norman explained.

"I appreciate the offer Mr. Osborn but I have a lot on my plate." I lied. 

"Suit yourself." Norman chuckled as he turned to walk away.

"Mr. Osborn?" I called

"Yes?" He inquired. 

"Have you heard from Harry recently?" I asked. 

Norman's face suddenly changed.

"Harry is in Europe for the time being something about some super model he had his eye on." Norman explained. 

"Sounds like him." I awkwardly laughed. 

"Haha yes..." Norman chuckled as he and his men left the lab. 

The lab had been stripped down. All that was left was some basic tools and scraps of papers that littered the floor. 

Doc had spent the rest of the day picking up the pieces that Norman left behind. 

"Doc?" I called.

"Yes Peter?" Doc inquired sounding a bit defeated. 

"You never told me this was illegal." I sighed.

"I should have never hid that from you Peter. If this had been worse and led to a possible legal battle it could have ruined your life. I am so sorry for putting you at risk." Doc apologized.

"Doc its okay, legal or not, I still would have helped you. Norman only worries about profits, you and I, we want to help people. I understand why you left OSCORP, and I understand why you lied to me. But if we are going to keep working together we're going to have to be honest with each other." I explained. 

"What do you mean, "If we're going to keep working together?" Peter all of our work its gone! We have no funding!" Doc exclaimed. 

"Everything we need is right here." I laughed as I pointed towards Doc's brain. 

"Peter, you have a chance to have a real paying job. You're young,  you need to get your life started. Take that job at OSCORP." Doc explained. 

"I could do that, but I'll never be able to change the world when I'm trapped underneath Norman's regime. I belong here, doing this work with you." I stated.

Doc couldn't help but smile. 

"You're a good man Peter." He stated as he shook my hand. 

"Well that's it then! Let's get to work!" I laughed.