Chapter 15

Chapter 15

I pulled myself from her bed instantly missing the feel of her arms and the way the heat of her body radiated to mine. Silently I changed before quickly scribbling a note, which I left on her bedside table, and making my way to her front door. I didn't want to leave her today but I had to go home to get my suit. Hopefully I would be back before she woke up. However, her sleeping patterns had been so irregular over the past three weeks I wasn't sure. So as quickly as possible I drove back to my parents' house.

"Hello," I called when I entered the house.

"In the kitchen," I heard my mums jolly voice call. It was weird not living with my parents anymore. Well technically I did but since I had returned I had spent every night at Amy's - most of my stuff was there anyway.

"Hi," I smiled weakly as I entered the kitchen, my smile growing ever so slightly when she turned around with a huge plate of pancakes and bacon in her hands. "For me?" I asked hopefully.

"Of course," she chuckled as she placed the plate on the table in front of my usual seat.

"Great," I chirped as I slid into the seat and tucked into my breakfast. My mum took the seat opposite me her worried eyes scanning me while I shovelled food into my mouth. "What?" I finally asked, my mouth still full of food, after becoming tired of her intense gaze.

"You've lost weight," she pointed out, but I could tell there was more she wanted to say.

"Well Amy isn't really eating properly at the moment," I shrugged hoping she wouldn't ask any more questions. I hated seeing Amy like this. I hated seeing her suffer so much. I wish she could see what she was going through, and how unhealthy it was. I was constantly worrying about her, but everything I seemed to say just washed over her. It was almost like she was punishing herself for Jamie's death. If anyone should be punishing themselves it should be me. It was my fault after all.

"How is she coping?" My mum asked her voice riddled with sympathy.

"How do you think?" I said, swallowing before I spoke this time.

"What about you?" she continued her hand reaching out to hold mine across the table.

"I love you mum, but I really can't talk about this right now. I need to get back," I mumbled as I stood up and took my plate to the sink.

"I haven't seen you in ages Jonah," my mum whispered her voice shaking slightly. I sighed as I turned to face her, guilt flooding my body.

"I know," I whispered unsure of what to say. She was right I was being a bad son. All my time was spent with Amy when my parents hadn't seen me in ages either. I just didn't know what to do anymore. I was so worried about her I forgot about everyone else in my life. I didn't want her to be alone. I didn't want her have time to think because I was scared of what she might do.

"She needs you, I get that. But we need you too Jonah. You're still our son," she whimpered tears forming in her eyes.

"I'm sorry," was the only thing I could think of to say. I knew I had been letting her down the past couple of weeks, and I had missed them so much. Everything was just so out of hand at the moment. I just didn't know what to do anymore. I didn't know how to juggle my time with Amy with my parents. I didn't know what to say or do to make Amy feel better. However, most of all, I didn't know how to process Jamie's death. Whatever I did, or wherever I went, his death was still on my mind. It seemed I was unable to deal with what happened, with the fact that he was gone.

"I love you so much Jonah," she continued as she took a step towards me looking unsure of herself.

"I love you too Mum," I responded as I closed the gap in-between us and wrapped my arms around her small frame. "I really am sorry," I tried to explain.