Demon Whisperer Chapter 12

Chapter 12

            “Jesus, Caden, what is wrong with you?” Aspen growled.

            “I don’t know.  Where do you want to start?”

            “I told you not to open your pie hole.”

            I shrugged, starting to get a bit pissed off with the way she was speaking to me.  I liked her a lot and all; hell who was I kidding, I was in love with her, but she could be a real ball buster when she wanted to be.  Like now.

            “Now, now kids, don’t fight over me.”  Eldon chuckled and it made my skin crawl again.

            “What’s the big deal?” I asked, starting to sense that maybe I had made a huge mistake that would cost me something major later on.

            “Names have power.  You of all people should know that.”

            Yup, I was definitely a dumbass.  I glanced at Eldon and he was staring at me with a maniacal gleam in his milky white eyes.  I realized now that if the zombie could find a way to use my name against me or against Aspen, he would do it without a second thought.  And I had walked blindly right into that shit pile.

            Eldon chuckled when he noticed my look of raw terror.  “Ah do not worry, dear boy, I don’t have any power.  I just like to collect things.”  He swept his arm around the room.  “Books, dirt, worms, names.  It’s just a hobby.  I have to spend my time doing something, as I don’t get out much, as you can imagine.”

            “Let’s cut the crap and get down to business.” Aspen dumped the meat back into the freezer.  “You got what you wanted, now give me some answers.”

            Eldon glared at her for a moment then shrugged his bony shoulders.  “Fine. Ask me again and I shall answer with the truth.”

            “Can you communicate with spirits, demons or other revenants?”

            He smiled.  “Yes.”

            “How?” I asked, still keeping my distance from the creepy old zombie.  “Do you do a summoning, or is it like picking up the phone and calling?”

            “You really don’t know much do you, dear boy?  I thought the great Hollywood exorcist would know more than that.”

            “I know stuff. I’m not an idiot.”  I huffed.  “And how do you even know who I am?”

            “Ever heard of the internet?  I so love watching YouTube.”  He smiled again.

            “Enough riddles, Eldon, just answer the question.”  Aspen rubbed at her right temple.

            His smile faded and he glanced at Aspen as if he’d been scolded.  He shuffled back to his easy chair and settled into it.  “I have a magic mirror.”

            I hadn’t expected that and I glanced at Aspen. She looked just as confused as I did.

            “A magic mirror?  Like Snow White?”

            “Snow White didn’t use the mirror, silly boy,” he sniffed, “her evil step-mother did.  Did no one read to you as a child?”

            I motioned with my hand for him to keep going.

            He rolled his eyes but continued, “I can communicate with others through the glass surface.  It’s actually very common.  Ever heard of scrying?  It’s the same principal, except I can’t see the future or the past; I can only talk to others.”