Ch. 7 Uncharacteristic

(2,327 Words)
(3rd POV)

The shrubbery rustled in the distance the possible threat getting closer and closer. Conner swore his heart could beat out of his chest in anticipation of who was making their way over, not being silent in the slightest. If this was a threat then Conner knew that they must be confident to be roaming the woods at this time of night. This was someone who wanted you to know they were coming, or they were terrible at sneaking around in the darkness.

X could feel the hero's intense heart beat from the almost whisper soft touch of his hand on her exposed skin. Each pulse in perfect sync with her own pounding heart. She placed her right hand on Superboy's cold wet jacket, feeling his muscles tense beneath the layers of soaked clothing. He was prepared to strike, who ever was making their way to them was an obvious threat to the hero, but X knew that he'd fight tooth and nail to keep her safe from harm.

X steadied herself, and with her left hand she carefully slipped her way into her bag careful not to shift around too quickly. She was pressed for time, this was possibly the only shot she had of getting back her USB, and in seconds she felt it's small familiar shape wedged beneath a plastic pack.

Her medical kit no doubt.

X would have to tug it out if she was to get it free, but Superboy would surely feel the movement and catch her in the act. She could hear the threat getting closer and knew that if she waited she could time her pull to the reveal of this being. She could easily mask her movements as 'cowering' away once it made its appearance; should Superboy look back at her she'd feign putting more distance between herself and it.

Snap...

..Crack...

'...Superboy... is that you?', she was cautious in her approach, Wonder girl took note of the defensive stance that her team mate was in and the growls coming from Wolf before she stepped out into the light. She and Nightwing had been looking for them for almost an hour now, and had feared the worst.

Conner breathed a sight of relief and relaxed his stance. It was only Wonder girl, he should have know... Only she would be bold enough to walk through a dark forest all alone in the dead of night with not a care in the world of how loud she was being. She was strong, brave, and resilient; a walking powerhouse if you will.

A small gasp was heard behind Conner shortly followed by X tugging herself a few steps away from him, taking the warmth with her. Upon looking back he found her wide eyed looking at his team mate before them with unease, arms tucked into herself as X shuffled closer to Wolfs large form.

Wonder girl's curiosity peaked at the wide eyed girl who had a mysterious glow underneath the rays of moonlight. She took note of her dripping hare frightened look, and lack of clothes, she was an enigma.

Conner was quick to turn and comfort her, his tense posture, and icy glare was replaced with soft shoulders, a concerned gaze, and reassuring words.

Wonder girl was momentarily stunned at Superboy's behavior towards the mysterious girl. In all her time working with Superboy she could only ever remember his usual guarded icy stare, and his tense posture, and how little he spoke. Yet here he was, with shoulders sagged and slightly hunched, in an attempt to look as least intimidating as possible, the softest tone; his eyes the most gentle she'd ever seen. The only other time she could remember his gaze that way was when he was with his now ex girlfriend Miss Martian.