Twins

I stare wide-eyed at the boy, the baby girls in his arms, and the mother slit open on the floor behind them.

"You killed her..." My lips mumble. The babes start fighting in his arms, trying to kick each other from his embrace with newborn legs. The boy tightens his grip around them, rocking them against his sides.

The golden-eyed girl shrills with laughter, and kisses his cheek. His skin curls with steam and smoke, branded with a burn at the shape of her little lips. The dark-eyed screeches and rakes his other cheek with her nails. Clawing four bloody lines down to his jaw.

The boy laughs aloud, and the girls fall silent. The three of them stare at me.

"They want you to hold them." He says, stepping towards me. My feet backpedal on their own, trying to make distance between us.

"No- I can't-"

"You can't?" The boy stops and yells. "You're their mother!"

"I'm not their mother, you killed their mother!" I yell back at him as he puts the girls on the floor. I expect them to fall, but to my surprise, their tiny feet quickly find balance on the endless black, and they start running towards me.

"Mommy!" - "Mommy!" Their voices echo together in the space, little legs skittling and hands grabbing hungrily towards me. I turn my back to them and flee into the darkness. "Feed us mommy!"

"No! I'm not your mother! I did not give birth to you!" I yell, and the boy's laughter answers, echoing from everywhere.

"No one is born here, Elena."

A kick to my back knocks me off my legs, and I crash forward on my chest and face. I manage to turn around as she leaps on me, landing with her waist on top my stomach. She's now a matured girl with muscles like a cat's, shoulder-length silver hair, and frenzied golden eyes.

She slaps me hard when my eyes meet hers, my head tossing sideways as the metallic taste of blood fills my mouth. Before I can turn my gaze back to her, she grabs my chin and bites my cheek; putting pressure that almost cracks my cheekbone between her teeth. Only when I yelp and whimper she releases her jaw to giggle in my ear.

"What do you want?" I gasp, trying to get out from beneath her. She pins my arms under her knees, runs her nails down my neck and hisses in my face.

"I want food mother. You never fed me at all!" She yells and smirks.

"I don't have food!" I yell back at her, flinching.

"I know. And I'm too old for milk now anyway. I'll have to drink your blood." Her smirk widens to reveal a set of sharp, pearly teeth. Right before she sinks them in me, a hand grabs her head from behind.

"She's not your mother yet. Stupid girl." Her dark-eyed sister scolds her, mature with the chest of a woman and long locks of pitch black hair.

"She can still feed me!" The girl on top of me almost takes a bite out my neck, but her sister wraps her silver hair in her fist and yanks her back.

"It's not the time for that!" The dark eyed girl bellows, and slaps her twin sister across the face with strength that makes me wince. Blood and spit flies from her lip as she falls on the floor.

"Then when?" She curls up in a cry, cupping her bruised mouth in her hands. "I'm so hungry..."

The dark-eyed twin sighs and shakes her head, then offers me a hand up.

"Ignore this big baby, mom. We have to find father."