Devotion

"I told you not to run, Elena." I hear the king's voice as he picks me up in his arms. "You are mine."

We flash through the woods and I'm in the shade of the cove again. The queen takes my hand, and the lake sparkles before us. I fall towards the water.

Water...

I open my eyes to see I almost crashed face-first into the desert sand. The raven-haired girl's strong, lean arms are wrapped around me, holding me from the ground.

"Thanks..." I murmur as she helps me straighten on my feet.

"Don't day-dream." She replies, her voice coarse with thirst.

"Hey," I call as she turns back to walking.

"Mh?"

"Do you have a name?"

"Of course I have a name, you imbecile, why won't I?"

"You never told it to me."

"You never asked, you only ask stupid questions."

"I'm asking now."

"No, you asked if I have a name, which is a stupid question."

"Fine," I sigh at her. "What is your name?"

Her eyes meet mine for a moment, black like a starless night. "Lily."

I nod at her, and she turns her gaze forward.

We walk in silence for a while before I notice black-clothed figures in the corners of my eyes. I lift my eyes from Lily's shade to see a change in the yonder.

The desert narrows between the mountain-ridges, and groups swathed in black go into the valley. Only far in the distance I could still see the snow-capped peaks. The mountains of the valley up close are yellow and dry like the sands.

I look to Lily. There is no change in her stoic expression, but I can feel we're finally getting close.

The people in black surround as we walk into the valley. They gave us a wide space – even wider than different groups make between each other. It seems they are even wary of glancing in our direction.

"Who are all these people?"

"The ones that managed to cross the desert."

"They seem to know you. Fear you?"

"Of course. Only devoted worshipers could have made it to here."

She has worshipers? I think to myself but don't question farther. Both because my mouth is too dry, and I feel I'll get mocked for it.

I spot a strange movement in the groups ahead of us then. They clear a wide center path and pause on the side; letting their gaze linger on. Soon I understand they are making way.

A group of over two dozen, bright haired maidens come into sight, striding in our direction. They are dressed in white skirts that bare their pale shoulders to the sunlight – reflecting it brightly, instead of shading from its horrors.

Some of the more muscled girls hold chains of metal - binding werewolves with white fur that dawdle on four to the pace of their steps.

I glance to Lily as they approach. No shifts in her bored look still.

A mature woman with silvering long hair walks in their front. She falls to her knee before us, and all the girls behind her fall the same.

"The great witch Lilian. What an honor it is to lay eyes upon you in flesh." The maiden's leader raises her voice hands in praise.