Twilight

Tears pour from my eyes as I watch the queen drop, my heart rattling with the roar of the king.

He blitzes forward while the silver-haired twin is chewing on his neck, and slams his fist into the side of the boy's head. The impact flies him off his feet, and he lands spread-limbed on the floor.

He's dead. I think, but then he laughs. And the darkness joins his laughter in maniac echo.

The king roars again, but the laughter is louder. He tries to leap after the boy, but the silver-haired twin unwraps her legs from his waist and plants them down to stop him, digging her teeth deeper in his neck. The king's arm bulges as he swings his fist into the side of her skull.

She bites down before the hit, tearing out a chunk of flesh from his neck as he knocks her to the floor. The boy laughs louder, spreading his arms wide on the dark floor.

The king rips out the arrow out of his palm, and jumps on the queen's killer with clenched fists.

"You'll suffer eternity for this." The king's left arm thunders down on the boy's cheek - knocking his face sideways. His gaze snaps back to the king like a spring, he can barely contain his laughter enough to answer.

"But eternity is so short now, father."

The king strikes with his right first. Pressing down the boy's face with his knuckles to stop him from turning back his face this time. The boy's laughter stops, the darkness falling silent. With a sudden jerk of his chin, he makes the king's hand slip, and stares up at him again.

"Can't even look me in the eyes. Of course. How could you? You've already failed. She's already dead. All that's left for you to join her. Every moment you stay here pretending you can take revenge only humiliates your soul more."

The king's hands burst alight as he grabs the younger man's throat in rage. Smoke raises up between his clenching fingers, and the smell of burning flesh floats in my nose.

The boy's spread arm shoots up like a bolt of lighting, his open hand landing on the king's face in a slap that turns his head around. The boy's other hand catches it with a slap from the opposite side. The king loses grip on the boy's neck, falling sideways to his fours.

"Pathetic. Why are you even trying? I have the dark. I have the moon. I have the earth. All that left is your blessing." The boy stands up, dusting blackened crisps of skin from the raw handprints burned around his throat.

"Death is my only blessing for you." The king rises, and throws himself forward with a swipe of his hand. The younger man steps in and reaches first - lifting the king's jaw with an uppercut. The king's neck clenches against the impact, the blood flow from the bite gushing.

"That's the only way I'll have it." The boy smiles and punches again. The king's chin bounces from his son's knuckles, his head reeling back with a pop from inside his neck.

He falls back spread-limbed. Bright red blood starts to pool from his torn neck. His golden eyes stare unblinking to the unending darkness above.

I struggle to believe my eyes as they shift between the corpses of the queen and the king. The dark-haired twin stands up, her cheekbone and lips busted from the queen's right-handed beating.

She walks up to her silver-haired twin, and kneels beside her. The king had left half of her face a mess of pulverized flesh and peaking bits of bone around the pit of a squashed eyeball. The other half of her face was giggling with a blank stare.

"I think she's even more brain-dead than usual." The dark-haired girl says, waving her hand in front of her twin's remaining eye.

"That's alright."The boy walks up to them, kneels on the girl's other side, and strokes through her silver hair.

"It's her time to shine." He says, and slides his razor nails in under her ribcage. He shoves his hand up to the wrist through the slit in her upper stomach, reaching into her chest from inside. Her golden eye rolls back into her skull, her body arching to make the access for him easier.

He pulls his hand out clutching her heart. The girl lets out a weak moan as it leaves her body, then she slumps lifeless in the dark.

The boy stands up, and I see that in his bloody hand, her heart is still beating - and glowing in a purple light. He lifts his hand to the sky, and crushes her heart in his fist. A spray of her blood spatters his brow, and the strange glow streaks up like a shooting star with silver and gold.

There is a boom against my eardrums as the darkness splits, then blinding light that makes my eyes squeeze shut.

When I open them again, I see there is a new sun in the center of the sky.

It swirls with a red and purple inferno, casting the world in ominous twilight.