Chapter Six -- Paranoia

It had been a few weeks since I've been home and everything was starting to feel normal. I kept to myself for the most part until it was no longer an opportunity.

The word of my return had spread around town. Many people speculated about my hiatus, sparking curious rumours to circle in the air.

While people haven't even thought of the possibility of their gossip whispering back to my ear, most were unaware of my presence mainly because I kept my hood up and my head down. I was there, listening closely to all of the words people have spread about me, careful to see if any of it could be damaging.

The majority had guessed that I had finally gone to prison and was destined to stay there longer than sentenced because I wasn't behaving well. I wondered if Tony had anything to do with that rumour, whether he was the one making up stories or because the news of his trip to the hospital circulated.

It felt like jail sometimes.

It was days like this where I felt happy to be left alone in the house. I usually didn't get off work so early and since I've been back, I've been pulling fifty to sixty hour work weeks. I didn't mind, seeing as my thoughts were distracted and my anger was taken out on cars rather than my body.

I set down an envelope of cash on the counter with the shitty handwriting 𝕽𝖊𝖓𝖙 sprawled in the front, I noticed a phone sitting casually beside a stack of bananas. Curiously, I pressed the home screen button to reveal a photo of that Aria girl and a man beside her, making goofy faces towards the camera.

Since our first encounter, we hadn't really acknowledged our existence whenever around each other. I thought it was best, seeing as she'd just be a distraction and another person that I didn't want to care about.

She hadn't made any attempts to speak to me either.

The only time she made her way into my thoughts was when she was over, hanging around Lacey. I only ever saw her when I needed to grab something from the kitchen, needed a smoke, or came home from work.

The only thing I thought of her was that she had a nice laugh and I was still intrigued as to why she so obviously spilled her coffee the first time I met her.

Tyler and I would chat out on the patio and occasionally when it was just us home, but for the most part, I kept the long hours to avoid conversations and to keep myself as tired as possible. I found out quick that, that was the only way I'd fall asleep at night.

There were a few occasions where I'd grab a glass of water and over hear some of the banter between the girls. Aria would glance over to me as I leaned on the kitchen island counter top and I would stare back at her.

I had a feeling that she was waiting for me to say something to her and maybe that's why her eyes would linger. I never spoke though and the defeat she so easily gave away, amused me.

It was too easy and if I had the energy, I'd have turned it into a game weeks ago, just to annoy her. I'd give her an ounce of attention, just to take it away in an instant.

But I couldn't be bothered.

My skin burned in the steaming hot shower, a satisfying feeling overcoming me. I looked down toward the grey water by my feet, all of the grease washing away from my body as I boiled off the long day.

You're a weak boy, Elias. We will have to change that. A familiar voice suddenly plowed his way into my head.

I thought of him often, but it was usually only when I was asleep. 

You call that a hit, come on, hit me. Hit me! His screaming almost sounded as if he was standing in the room with me.

I shuddered at the thought.