Chapter Seven -- Erratic

I nearly sprinted towards the front door of the dimly lighted room and slapped the palm of my hand on the wood with strong force as it was mid open.

A light smack on the door and an "Ah," Called out with a small voice.

Frowning, I opened the door further, no longer feeling a threat by the sound.

Aria appeared on the other side of the door and I immediately grew annoyed.

"What the fu-"

"-What are you doing here?" The low growl in my throat spewed out.

Aria glanced up towards my eyes. "Jesus, Eli." She put her hand on her chest where her heart was. "You scared the hell out of me."

Aria pushed past my hold on the door and let herself into the house without a card in the world or a thought in her small mind.

My eyes rose as she left me by the door, stunned by her behaviour.

I shut the door and spun around.

Amused, she turned the dimmed lights up with her finger and made herself comfortable. "What are you doing standing here in the dark?" She commented and looked around.

I sighed. "Why are you here?" I asked with a pissed off tone.

Lacey wouldn't be home for another hour or two by this point.

I was still on edge from my thoughts and having a stranger barge in wasn't in her best interests.

She gave me a look. "I left my phone here. I didn't know I had to give you some form of warning every time I came over, Eli."

I eyed her slowly.

With the lights brightened, I glanced at her black shirt that collared right at her neck but the sleeves swooped low on the sides and revealed her rib cage.

"This isn't your house," I bitterly reminded her. "And it'd be better that way."

She looked good today.

Her ripped blue jeans complimented her nicely.

I wasn't in a good mood to begin with and I had a hard time controlling my comments when I wasn't in the mood to play games. She was severely testing my patience.

"Oh," She bit her lip. "Lace gave me a key months ago," She announced.

"Great."

Ignoring my behaviour, she walked over to the island and picked up her phone, checked to see if she had any notifications, then put it in her back pocket.

I was still stood by the door like a statue.

"Are you okay?" She asked, bright baby blues staring into my soul.

My eyebrows furrowed.

So she was compassionate. That made sense. She liked to see the good in people and push out the bad. Petty, petty traits.

Nowadays, everyone was so rushed in in their lives that no one ever stops to think of another person unless it benefited them. It was quite a shame really, but probably for the best.

Empathy will hurt you.

I exhaled a deep breath to calm my nerves. "I thought you were someone else," I quietly muttered.

"Who?" Her body leaned against the kitchen island.

That was a safe distance.

"You got your phone Aria," I frowned. "Don't worry about my life, you got what you came over for so isn't it time you take off?" I subconsciously stepped forward.