Chapter Eleven -- Stranded

Chapter Eleven --Stranded

Lying alone in my room, with my guitar on my chest, no one in the house but myself; I felt completely empty, drained, nonexistent. I couldn't be more relieved that they stayed at his parents yesterday so they couldn't see how lifeless I felt.

I haven't picked up this stupid thing in a while, and I was hoping that if I did, I'd subside the disturbing thoughts running through my mind. Alas, it has done nothing for me.

I strummed gently at all the strings on my guitar, not paying attention to any specific cords or any pattern. Just simple strumming to give my room a bit of noise so I could drown out the voices in my head.

Feeling a random vibration in my pocket, I reached out and picked up my phone. Odd, seeing as I couldn't sworn I put the thing on the do not disturb option.

Without looking, I answered the call.

An angelic voice danced in my ears. "Eli?"

I didn't answer, but mimicked the beautiful sound on my guitar.

"Eli?" The sweet like sugar voice asked again. "Are you there?" I felt in a trance.

"Hm, yeah." I mumbled, fiddling with the strings.

"Are you okay?" She asked, hesitant.

I looked down at the caller ID and widened my eyes.

"Aria? Why are you calling?" I asked, voice low and smooth to hide the rasp.

"Are you busy?"

I glanced down to my chest, where my guitar was resting before raking my fingers through my hair. "Not particularly."

"Oh Good," She replied. "I require your services," She continued with a chuckle. "Um... If I had access to anyone else, I wouldn't have bothered you, but my options are kind of... limited."

I said nothing in response, but instead contemplated hanging up.

"So, anyways." She said over the awkward silence. "My car broke down on the side of the road and I-"

"-Couldn't call a tow truck?" I finished.

There was a brief pause. "Eli," she whined. "What's the point on being friends with a mechanic if they won't even come through-"

My eyes narrowed as my eyebrows lowered. "Since when are we friends?" I asked.

A long  and dramatic sigh released on the other end of the phone. "Okay," she said with defeat. "If I knew you were going to be an ass, I'd have saved this embarrassing conversation and-"

I held back an amused chuckle. "Where are you?" I asked.

"I'm about an hour and a half from your house, in Port Alberni," She admitted.

It was my turn to sigh. "And I'm guessing you're only calling me because I'm able to tell you what's wrong with it?" I fished. "Because friends give discounts."

Her laughter filled the receiving end of the phone and I was tempted to find the same tune on my guitar before I forgot what her voice sounded like.

"Well, sort of," She truthfully answered. "I know you'd rather be doing anything besides this and that's fine, but honestly I don't have anyone else I can call." There was a brief pause. "I do actually want to come out of anyone else too, Eli."

"Okay," I said, attempting to hide the distrust I felt. Already walking towards the door with my truck keys in my hand, I replied swiftly, "We'll see about that," With a warning. "Stay by your car. I'll come find you," and I hung up before she got a chance to waste my time with further conversation.