Chapter Ten -- Visitation

What are the chances of surviving jumping out of a moving vehicle? Perhaps it's slim.
I open the car door without a single thought of looking back. The ground is moving so fast, my eyes begin to hurt from the blurry sensations. Removing my seat belt, an appealing thought washes over me. Just jump; my body would fly. Tumbling from the G-force, road rash burns at the touch. Will I make this out alive? It'd be one for the books, if I did. Temptations, sweet temptations.

Lying in the backseat of Tyler's fancy car, one foot is bent upwards and resting on the seat while the other is sprawled out, while the two of them were sitting in the front. I practically hid in my grey sweater, feeling a lot like a turtle because half my face was hidden in the collar and my hood is up.

I hated this feeling.

If I could skip out, I most definitely would.

*

"Ellie!" The little girl sprinted up to me with a widened, toothless smile.

I scooped her up in my arms and hugged her back tightly. "Kimmy," I held her.

"I missed you!" She snuggled into my chest. Fuck she was getting big.

"Missed you too, kid." I murmured before setting her back down on the ground. Kimberly ran back to where her mother, Margaret was standing - a few feet away from the door frame.

"Hello, Darlings." Her elegant voice flowed. Tyler and Lacey weaved around my body that was still standing in the doorway and walked into the house as if it was nothing to them. "Tyler," She kissed her stepson on the cheek to which he gave her a lighthearted hug. "Lacey," They hugged, giving each other a gentle laugh.

Family.

"Wow, Eli, when they told me you were looking good, I didn't think they meant this," Margaret's face looked of shock but supported warmth and happiness. "I'm so happy that you've decided to come."

"Thanks," I said before walking in hesitant behind them.

I did not belong here.

"Where's dad?" Tyler asked while he peaked around the large house for any hint of movement. Lacey was at his side like usual, her arms locked around his bicep.

"He's around back, in the shed. He should be back in a minute." Margaret told him.

The house looked more or less the same as it always has been. The second you walked in, high rise ceilings as well as a beautiful glass chandelier. The house was a great open concept, the floors were white and glossed over with little hints of brown and grey marble patterns. The walls were mainly giant windows but the wall pieces were white too, with expensive paintings plastered all over. Everything was so clean and precise.

I followed everyone to the other side of the house where there were window seats and a couch sitting, right in front of beautiful window where the backyard was in sight. The conversation between the three of them was light, easygoing, easy.

"So, Eli, How have you been? I haven't heard from you since you've come back." Margaret asked, a slight tone of disappointment in her voice.

I smiled at her to be polite. Margaret has always been kind to me, unlike her husband. "I've been doing pretty well, actually. Taking things day by day for the most part." Minus some minor details.

"It shows," She replied, before walking out to the back where her husband was.

"Did the tooth fairy give you anything for that?" I bent down to Kimberly's level and poked at her cheeks.