01. oh joy

Despite living in the relatively sunny state of Georgia, the weather had shown it's early holiday cheer by peppering the ground with a thin layer of snow

Despite living in the relatively sunny state of Georgia, the weather had shown it's early holiday cheer by peppering the ground with a thin layer of snow. Every house on the block had already been decorated, even though it was only December, 2nd. That included the Harbour house, which was strung with gleeful twinkle lights and a wreath in every visible window. 

Although the leading ladies in his life appreciated the autumn season the most, winter was David's time to shine. The entire home smelled like a Yankee Candle Christmas collection factory and stockings were hung delicately from the mantle in the living room. 

Oh yes, it was the most wonderful time of the year. In fact, he nearly counted on waking up every morning with plans to be nothing but joyful. Coffee was replaced with hot cocoa, bowls of snacks were replaced with candy canes, and nobody dared to tell him he was going overboard. 

This year's Christmas holiday would be different from any of the previous ones he had lived. This year, he had been blessed. He had a wonderful new home, an incredible fiancée, an amazing daughter, and the complete family he had always wished for. 

More importantly, he was looking most forward to Katie's return for her holiday break. She had flown back to the states twice to visit, but the four months she had been gone were grueling for both of her parents. Eventually, the phone calls got shorter, the texts became less frequent, and he knew she was out living her life on her own. 

Missing her was just part of the package. There wasn't much he could do about it other than remind her every chance he had that he loved her dearly and missed her more than words could describe. 

Although, he had to admit that the newfound time alone with Winona had been wonderful for their relationship. Giving them time to really focus on the important things they needed to do to strengthen themselves and their relationship. Not to mention, all of the other things they were able to do without the risk of someone randomly walking in — much less their daughter. But hey, they were making up for their lost time.  

All in all, he had been nothing but giddy for weeks on end. At some points, he had nearly driven Winona nuts with the unbeatable, exuberant attitude. But, it was better than the alternative. Once she realized that he was just... well, happy, she felt happier too. It warmed her heart to see him in such a good place. 

"You do realize that Christmas isn't for another 23 days, right?" she asked, hanging another golden bulb ornament on the tree that stood proudly in their living room. 

"That's what faux trees are for, babe. To spread that holiday cheer for as long as possible without having to sweep up dying pine needles for 5 weeks." he chuckled, rearranging the lights that were settled on the branches. 

"Okay, whatever you say. As long as you don't ask Alexa to play Justin Bieber's Christmas album on repeat again, I can get on board with the tree." Just as she finished her sentence, she felt his arms wrap around her and playfully swing her around. As she dissolved into a fit of laughter, he took the opportunity to plant a steamy kiss on her giggling lips.