12. stars align

Three Hours Earlier

Three Hours Earlier

The Thompsons, they were the first photo that her eyes had laid on. They looked nice, married for four years and three years of infertility. Kara Thompson, the prospective mother was holding a small puppy in their introduction photo. Cheery smiles and a nice big house behind them. "We're the Thompsons, Kara and Ryan, and we're looking to start our family. That starts with you."

Next were the Lydeckers. Serena and Kent, older than the Thompsons. They were holding a little boy in their arms, posing gleefully in the poshest clothing she'd ever seen. For a split second, she thought it was just a photo of Jayma Mays and Tom Hiddleston because the resemblance was uncanny. "We were lucky enough to begin our family with our only child, Benjamin. Not long after, Serena was diagnosed with cervical cancer. Thankfully, she won the battle but it came along with the inability to have kids and we aren't done growing our family yet."

Her fingers ran along the edge of the page, flipping over the delicate laminate. Joe and Marcus Williams, a handsome couple no doubt. The photo showed them standing in front of the Eiffel Tower, listing traveling as one of their passions. They seemed warm, a loving energy from both of them. "Looking to begin our newest adventure by starting a family of our own."

Each face, each couple, each differently colored eyes and differently shaped smiles. They all seemed so loving yet... so intimidating. If she closed her eyes, she could imagine her little boy or girl running around in the front yard of one of those houses. She imagined what it would be like for her child to take part in one of the many hobbies listed from the many families in the binder. Camping, traveling, painting, musicology, sports, cooking. 

Each photo brought another crack upon her heart. All of them hosting this look in their eyes. A Plea. 'Pick us, choose us, bless us.'  What was she supposed to feel? There was no blinding sense of relief or an instinct to focus on one family in particular. Isn't that what she was supposed to feel? A glowing ring along one of the photos as the angels sang and the stars aligned because it was just meant to be? Where was that?

 This whole time, she had been begging for the world to give her a sign. Something, anything. Just to let her know that she was making the right decision. No matter which decision she leaned towards, the universe made no attempt to lead her in the right direction. Instead, she was wandering through a dark and endless tunnel as she tried to find her way out. 

The only thing that had truly dawned on her was that if she were to choose adoption, she had to put the work into it. The research, the deep thinking and consideration of who would be the person she handed this little life off to. 

There was Christina. A single potential-parent, a doctor of something Katie couldn't even pronounce. Gastroenterologist?  Long hours at a hospital. No. 

Leo and Emma Paulson. They lived in the worst part of the city where the crime rates were higher than the Empire State building. No. 

Mike and Theresa, she recognized them as the owners of a local church which was rumored to be a cult. They already had twelve kids — all of which were ticking time bombs of toxic masculinity and religious repression. Absolutely not.