09. getaway

Eighteen weeks. The baby was officially the size of a bell pepper, although Katie felt more like it was the size of a pumpkin. Some things had remained the same, others dramatically changed. She had finished her stint of bedrest, even after her doctor tacked on an extra week just to be safe — which pissed her off more than ever. Even though being confined to her bed and or a couch for two weeks, she knew it was for the best. 

There were always pros and cons in any situation. Pros and cons of which Katie was prodigal at weighing between good and bad. Bedrest had been annoying, yes— but for the first three days, it was paradise. Her parents had refused her the ability of getting up on her feet, which meant being hand-delivered every little thing she wanted. The fun certainly didn't last for long. 

You see, when she had been ordered to stay on bed rest, both Winona and David had stayed home for a majority of the time. Together. All of them. And after a while, Katie had grown tired of being watched 24/7. Soon after her ordered bed rest was over, both of them had realized just how much of their time could actually be spent together. Filming was on hold, boredom had dulled everything in the house, and the sound of silence had been quickly replaced by...

'thump' 'thump' 'thump'

Yes, the constant rhythmic bumping and thumping of the headboard against the wall. Her face contorted into disgust when she thought about what it was like when she hadn't been home. I mean, she was always a sex-positive person, but for God's sake. 

Granted, it was past midnight and they had both assumed she was asleep. Not so lucky for her, she could barely sleep from the changes of her body disturbing the comfortability. So, she was stuck in a near-permanent state of exhaustion while also being stuck with insomnia... and having to listen to...

'thump'

That.

Of course, it was nice to see her family so happy lately. Things had been dark and dreary so often, it was a nice change. But the cons were starting to outweigh the pros and all she wanted was just one night to sleep without wearing headphones to bed. 

And to think she had been rooting for this to happen the same time last year. 

"Do you hear that?" she asked quietly, looking down at the small bump of her belly. Her hand came up to rest on top of it, feeling the baby's feet kicking against where her palm laid. She smiled as soon as she felt the flicker of the kick. "I know, it's annoying. Isn't it?" 

So, when she had finally had enough of the constant and completely embarrassing noises, she had woken up and grabbed her laptop instead of falling back asleep with a pillow smothering her head. Her father's birthday was coming up in a few months, could a surprise trip getting the hell out of dodge do any damage? 

Maybe it was more of a gift to herself; the gift of silence. Still, she had purchased them a cabin in Blue Ridge for a long weekend. Three glorious days where she was allowed to do whatever the hell she wanted, all without...