LBAAF- Chapter 2

Chapter Two

    My eyes opened and then I was blinking through the darkness around me. Not true darkness, but that of in the dead of night. A night without a moon. A night without light other than from the stars in the sky.

    Turning my head, I found my strength was low. Still, I shifted toward what I could just make out as a window. My arm slipping off my abdomen to lay on the bed in front of me. Even from the new position, I couldn't make out much other than vague outlines.

    Tenderly, I rose to sit up on the bed. My body felt strange and I still couldn't get myself to think of anything at all. No puzzling where I was. No fear of why I was here. Just nothing...

    Next thing I knew was that I was standing with the doors between the windows open showing me a small balcony. Just one big enough for two bistro chairs and a bistro table with barely leg room to sit in the chairs unless they were under the table. All I could think was to shrug off that bit of information.

    My hands laid down on the metal bar that made up the top of the railing. It was icy cold and reminded me of how I felt inside. That there was no warmth to battle the cold. No desire for heat. Just a cold like in the dead of winter after it snowed.

    Internally I did a sharp laugh. Snow. My father had told me many times the story behind how I was born. Snow had been everywhere because of a blizzard. They hadn't been expecting me for months so they didn't mind being snowed in.

    That had been the worst mistake my father ever had done. Because they were trapped in their cozy cabin, my mother died giving birth to me. My father never blamed me for her death, but I did. I'd never know my mother because I was born.

    My foot lifted and placed itself on the bottom metal bar. I lifted myself a little higher on the railing so I could swing my leg over the edge. The agony of being alive gripping m and I felt like it was choking me.

    My father had been devastated by my mother's death, yet held strong to care for me. To see that I had at least one parent. But he couldn't do it alone. He needed a woman's help with me.

    Because of that need to give me a mother, he searched for a new wife. It took him years to find her. I had been happy when the woman he choose sought to help him more than me. He needed so much more love to help mend his broken heart.

    My other leg swung over the railing and now I stood with my feet on the edge and my hands gripping the railing ready to fall. To try again. I just wanted to leave this world of endless pain.

    How could I have knew that the woman my father married would lead to his death? That I had turned a blind eye to that vile woman masked in the sweetest demeanor. I had been fooled till my father's death. The night of the funeral she revealed her true self to me.

    Her voice laughing at me still rang in my ears. The words she told me as I felt my world die. How she had convinced my father to name her the next in line. I didn't care about ruling, but it was that she said I'd not live long. That I should find a small place to live the last few years of my life.

    My eyes went down to the ground below. Was it even far enough to end it all? Or would I just be adding to my pain with true physical pain? It would only be fitting. I brought on the death of both my parents, why not suffer more.

    But the decision was taken away from me as arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me back over the railing. A low curse slipped out of his throat as he held me to his chest. My back to his front. My head back against his shoulder as he had his face hidden on mine.