Chapter 12

(I'm really sorry for the previous chapter, but I'm sure that this one is going to make up for it. Also, this chapter is really, really long, so prepare yourself a nice playlist to listen to along the way.)

You were walking through the 24th ward, together with Eto and Akira. Yoshimura, Yomo and Touka were there too, but they were walking through a different tunnel. 

You were searching for the Aogiri Tree, who was searching for the underground king. It was very important that you found the Aogiri Tree before they find the underground king for very obvious reasons and that's why you decided to split up. 

The tunnel was very dark, so dark that even your flashlights were barely making any difference. It was quite and no one was saying anything. Everyone was on high alert and prepared to fight at any moment. Occasionally you heard what could only be described as a footstep, but they were very inconsistent and so you didn't pay much attention to it. 

Finally, someone decided to break the nerve-wracking silence.

"So (Y/N)," Eto began talking. "Do you know when your kakuja is going to evolve? Mine just did, but I feel like it's gotten even uglier now." 

(The previous kakuja was the same as Yoshimura's)

"I really don't know, I hope it'll be soon tho. But isn't that like a half-ghoul only thing where you have to endure pain to become stronger?" you asked her. 

"It usually is, yes," Eto answered. "Mine evolved anyways, so I suppose it has something to do with whatever happened while I was knocked out. The only thing that I remember from that day is that you killed Ayato, was there anything else that I have missed?"

"Please..." Akira stepped in, "Let's just forget about that night. Believe me, you know what happened... maybe you just don't know that it happened at that exact moment, but... Whatever."

And with that, the terrible silence once again dominated the tunnel. Eto understood what Akira meant and was feeling a little bit guilty now, only adding to the horror of the tunnel. 

The feeling of never knowing if you are being watched and when you were going to be attacked was crushing you and the mood of your partners wasn't helping it. Wandering through the tunnel was definitely PTSD worthy.

However, the silence also had its benefits, because it allowed you to hear better. Hearing better hasn't helped you at all in the last few hours, but now there was actually something to hear. 

The sound came from further inside the tunnel and it sounded as if it was coming closer. You walked in front of your group and pulled out your sword, to prepare in case you needed to fight. 

The sound then stopped. At that moment Eto was shining her flashlight towards the direction of the sound, which made the person who was standing in front of you finally visible. 

It was once again Ken, but before you were able to say anything, he activated his kagune, which pierced first through your stomach, then through Eto's and finally through Akira's. He picked you all up and slammed you against the wall.

"I really dislike it when you try to intervene in other people's business," Ken spoke. 

"You know what Ken?" Eto intervened. "I had hopes in you. I have never seen an artificial half-ghoul before and so I was really excited as to how you would behave, how strong you would be etc. But you're just an idiot! Do you know who I am? Do you have any idea what you just did? Of course, you don't, because what I'm about to do is going to surprise you as well. The only thing that I am going to tell you, is that I am ruthless."