Part 48

Sean made his way back up the steps to the deck. He wanted to know how long it would take them to go back and get the crew. Upon stepping out onto the deck, all the Merfolk instantly dropped to a knee. Sean's breath caught in his throat. This was a weird feeling. He was used to people being respectful to him, but this had never happened to him before. Granny was the only still standing, but her head was bowed in respect. Sean crossed the deck to stand beside her, whispering uneasily. "How do you make them stop?" Granny chuckled lightly, lifting her head to tell him with a smile. "Just tell them, your highness." Sean shuffled his feet, telling them all a bit weakly. "Rise?" The Merfolk that heard him rose and the others followed. Sean cleared his throat anxiously, looking at Granny for help with fragile eyes. Granny smiled, raising a hand to gesture for a woman to come forward. The woman was dressed in what appeared to be glistening sea green scale armor. Granny pointed to her as she approached, while informing Sean calmly. "This is Rita. She will be leading the men that will retrieve the sunken vessel."

Rita swiftly took a knee, laying her spear at his feet, upon stating out. "It is an honor, highness. My men are ready to leave at once." Sean's mind was blank, until Granny nudged him to say discreetly. "Give her the coordinates." Sean lifted his head in understanding, answering kind of regrettably. "Well... I don't really know. It's off the coast of a place called Greece...?" Sean winced feeling the pressure overwhelming him. Granny put a hand on his shoulder, telling Rita lightly. "Go below and ask his friends. The one called Nate will know for a certainty." Rita rose to her feet, giving them a respectful nod before hastily moving to the steps. Sean felt like his heart was going to jump from his throat. Everyone was staring at him with expect eyes. Granny moved up though, addressing them all casually. "As you were." The merfolk all gave him one last bow, then moved off to mingle. Granny pointed at her son, beckoning him over as she stated out. "Devan, come with me." Sean took only a single step back, when Granny grabbed his elbow, adding to him sweetly. "You too."

Granny led the way back into the Captain's cabin. Sean took a shaky breath before following her in with the man that raised him. Granny strolled back to the captain's seat, when Devan closed the door to start off seriously. "Ma, he's not ready. I wasn't ready at his age." Granny sank into the seat to get comfortable, then told him aloud. "When is anyone ever truly ready for what life throws at them? Let his own actions speak for him." Devan huffed loudly, stating out harshly. "Ma, he paired himself with a traitor! How do we know that pirate hasn't brainwashed him against us?" Sean opened his mouth, but Granny rose from her seat to say as cold as ice. "Are you questioning my judgement?" Devan's shoulders dropped and he bowed his head in shame. Granny eyed him for a long moment, before she told Devan firmly. "My job is to see all sides of a single story. I know well what Captain Sharp and Captain Fischbach are capable of. However, they can be reasoned with." Devan pointed a stern finger at Sean, growling out under his breath. "Nate only obeys because he made him his Paramour! To keep Sean on his side, Nate will say or do anything!"

Granny shrugged, retorting dismissively calm. "You didn't see what I saw. He's not the man you remember." Devan slammed his hands down on the desk, shouting out. "Nate killed da! How can you stand there and defend him! He's a murderer!" Granny stepped carefully around the table, cupping her son's face very gently. Devan bowed his head, falling to his knees weakly as tears ran down his cheeks. Granny tilted his head back to make him lock eyes with her. When he did, she told him in a gentle motherly voice. "Devan... The pain you feel. I feel it too. I miss him too. But what would you have me do?" Devan clenched his jaw, growling out through clenched teeth. "Do what he did to da! Put his own sword slowly through his heart!" Sean stepped forward to disagree, but Granny removed a hand from Devan's face to gesture for him to stay out of this. Staring down at Devan, she asked him. "You think this will bring you peace of mind?" Devan glared at her, snapping out. "Don't you want to kill the man who killed him? To get justice for his death?"