Chapter 18

It didn't take the Princess and Her maid long to get back to the walls of Camelot, not with Lena inducing mighty gallop from her mare and riding full steam ahead.

All Jess could do was hold on for dear life, the mare hurdling over fallen trees and large rocks attempting to avoid them as much as possible made it a very bumpy ride for the maid, squeezing the Princess's lower abdomen as tight as she could as to not to fall off.

When they had came to a halt, Lena immediately jumped down and helped her, now stiff with tension and stricken with a bout of anxiety, maid down from the horse.

"M'Lady, May I ask what on earth that was in aid of?" Jess asked, trying her best to straighten out her her skirt, crumbled by the harsh journey home.

Lena grabbed the reins to her mare, not answering her maid right away as she began to walk towards the stables, her brows crunched together in anger.

Jess let out a sigh, "Is this because Kara is Kryptonian?" She asked, placing her hands on her hips and arching her eyebrow, half expecting the Princess to turn to her in a fit of anger.

But the the problem with that was that Jess knew the woman all too well. Having been around the Princess for as long as she could remember, she knew the Princess inside-out and not to mention they had formed what some may call a friendship not that the Queen would allow there to be any kind of relationship other than professional but Jess was the exception, being there for the Princess during Lex's passing and aiding her in becoming the strong Princess she was to that day.

But instead of a rash reaction to her maids words, she stopped dead in her tracks with her back still to Jess, "You knew?" She asked, her voice low and slow, her grip tightening on the reins, causing her knuckles to turn pale against her tinted red skin with the cool air.

"M'Lady, it was fairly obvious that Kryptonian," Jess explained, crossing her arms over her chest and rubbing her arms, drawing closer to the Princess, "If I may, M'Lady, you saw Kara as any other human, with quirks and flaws like the rest of us yet without any prior knowledge of her race you fell in love with Kara for who she is not for what she is, why does her being a Kryptonian make any difference?" Jess asked, less than a metre away from her mistress, placing a soft hand on the Princess's shoulder.

Lena's head dropped, and her grip on the reins loosened to just barely a hold, "She's one of the people allowed Lex's killer to walk away without so much as a slap on the wrist." She answered, her back remaining to her maid, her voice low and stern.

Allas this did not faze the maid one bit, "M'Lady, when his majesty died Kara would've been merely a child, she wouldn't have had more of a say in what happened to Kal than you did," she said softly, her hand slid down onto the Princess's bicep, "She isn't to blame for what happened and I think you know that, why else did you leave her unharmed?" She finished, and she felt her Misstress's arm tense under her touch.

Lena's head dropped, "It's done now." Was all the Princess said before moving forward and into the castle leaving her maid stricken with worry as she looked back towards the forest in which they had just emerged from.

By morning the Princess was on no better of a mood, Jess had walked into her chambers to finger her angrily stabbing at her breakfast violently with her fork.

It was the day of the wedding and with certainty it could be said that only a small handful were happy about the union, that being the Daxam groom, his mother and the Queen of Camelot.

The bride on the other hand was filled to the brim with turmoil and confusion.

The previous night she had laid in bed tossing and turning over what had happened that night.