Year 5

"DOOR!!!" Harry shouted, pointing his fingers at the door.

I got up from my comfortable position on the couch, my head had that mild buzz, but as I tried to stand the floor tilted.

My friends laughed, fuckers.

"I got you." Harry put an arm around me and we slowly walked to the door. There were things that got crushed under our feet, most likely trash. We had been partying for almost five hours or seven hours? I lost track of the time.

It was good kind of losing. This was my party. I was fucking proud of it. As we neared the door, I could hear the banging and the door bell crying.

I chuckled, someone was eager to join the fun. But all my guests were already inside.

I yanked the door open to an angry face. I knew the face, but I couldn't place it.

"You mister! Do you know what time it is? You're not living in a cave or a planet of your own to use your stereo system as a trumpet to announce your pathetic existence!"

"Oh, cherub!" I breathed. Something was different about him, but I had no brain resources to figure it out.

He scrunched his snake eyebrows.

I decided to defend myself."Listen... first time..." I had to take another breath, then start again, "for the first time, I have friends over....ss...schooool friends. I go to their homes all the time... Fffirst time huh...here... okay?" I looked at him with puppy dog eyes.

"Are you INTOXICATED?" He screamed, making me wince.

Harry snickered. "Yes, Trev. He is. Not that he talks any better if he isn't."

I slapped Harry's back and laughed. "Gooood one!"

He steadied me, "I'm enjoying this."

"My pleasure." I grinned. Harry's the only guest who was local. I couldn't host a party without my OTF. Now could I?

"I'm going to call the authorities. I'm positive that you're not of age to consume alcoholic beverages." Trev said and waved his phone.

"How old are you?"

He scoffed. "As if you would remember. You ask the same question everytime we cross paths!"

"Yo kid.. age changes every year. Don't know that?" I laughed at my own joke. I was so funny and my jokes were so hilarious.

When I finished laughing, Trev was still glaring. "How old are you? Are you senile?"

"Ooh...Big words!! Tell you what. You can have a shot."

"NO." Harry shook me, making my head swim. "He is twelve!"

"I'm thirteen and thank you very much."

"I'm eighteen, and if you don't tell, then I won't tell either. Deal?" I extended my hand.

He swatted at my hand. "Harry, teach this human some common courtesies. I know you are a better person."

"Hey!" I took a step forward.

He took a step forward and clutched my shirt collar, his voice was barely above a whisper, but each word rang out with clarity. "Don't you hey me. You are a despicable person. Utterly waste of my time and energy. I could have just called the authorities from my bed instead I came here at this god forsaken hour. Can't you show the same compassion? No, you can't. All you can do is yell at me like the thug you are." He pushed me back and I easily stumbled back on Harry.

I stared at him trying to understand what I was feeling.

I should feel anger. A boy, almost half a dozen years younger than me grabbed my collar and insulted me.

I should feel embarrassed for being the bad neighbor.

But no. All I felt was a new thrill. My buzz was clearing a little.

Why?

"Stop staring." Trev muttered.

I chuckled. "I can't—"

Harry pulled the back of my shirt.

"That's enough Jakey. You go home Trev. You won't hear a thing. I promise." Harry dragged me in and closed the door shut.

"Rude little shit." I complained.

"He is a good kid. Self righteous, but still good." Harry defended him as we went back to the living room.

"Can a eighteen year old kiss a thirteen year old boy?" I wondered out aloud. That was the thrill I felt when we stood nose to nose.

"Fuck, no!" Harry swirled me around so fast, I saw Jesus. "Don't you dare, Jakey. He's a kid."

"I think he's a handsome, Jesus kinda boy, what do you think?"

"I think, you have had enough booze for tonight. Shut your shit and sleep." Harry clicked the speakers off, suddenly bringing the whole house to a ghostly quietness.

The guys on the couch groaned.

"Party over boys, time to call it a night." Harry clapped his hands as if he was a coach calling his team.

We had spread up mattresses for all the six of us in the center of the family room. A cozy set up just like our hostel rooms.

Harry pulled the blankets up covering both of us, "good night, Jake."

"Good night."

As I drifted off to sleep, I wanted to clear up things.

"Harry?"

"Mmm..."

"I really want to kiss him, I'm not drunk talking." I whispered.

"Sure, you are."

"Can you check, if that's okay?"

"You can't kiss. You'll realize that yourself tomorrow morning. Sleep this off. I'm never letting you drink ever again."

****

I did realize something the next morning.

1. I would never bring friends home again. The whole house reeked of stale beer and vomit.

2. Nothing was worth the pounding in my head.

3. Trevon Marshall. I would like to stand nose to nose with him again. If nothing else just to have him call me fancy insults for breathing the same air as him.

4. Also I liked the idea of angry, nose to nose argument followed by hot make out session.

We could try that when Trev was old enough to know what was what. Because who else was gonna argue with a lover boy like me?