Day 1

"Good Morning." I greeted Trev with full of morning cheer. It was only nine thirty and I had finished many of the long pending items from my to do list.

Like returning the library book.

I didn't waste a minute of my unplanned leave, while my guest was fast asleep.

He nodded as he descended the stairs with lazy limbs. He had changed into his own clothes and looked a little better than last night.

"Tea?" I offered.

He nodded, "if it's no bother."

I rolled my eyes. This guy. Last night he ordered me to stay home, now for a tea, he was being polite. I was no tea person, I liked to get caffeinated like all other overworked student body. Trev though, grew up drinking tea and mom had a stash at home just for him. I got my stash this morning. Who knew how long he wanted to stay?

"Thanks." He cradled the mug and inhaled the steam. "I apologise for the inconveniences I caused."

"Nevermind. It's better that it was me who visited."

"True. What caused your visit?"

I laughed at his word choice. As if my visit was a rash. "You were giving very bad vibes and my parents picked up on them. I wasn't expecting to see what I saw. Are you ready to talk?"

He nodded, taking a gulp of the tea.

I waited.

After a few minutes of silence, he looked up, "you should ask me questions. I can't possibly know what you are interested in."

"Riight... Okay. Why didn't you want to take shower in your dorms?"

He sighed. "I detest that place. Shared showers and the boys were so... crude."

"So did you stop taking showers?"

He shrugged but his body lost the lax pose. His gaze stuck to the mug in his hands.

"Who is Steven?"

"A friend."

"What does he do?" If he was Trev's friend, there was a good chance Steven wasn't a freshman.

"Dormitory security guard."

Oh, god.

"Why did he loan you his prescription tablets?"

His grip on the mug became deathly. "He thought it would aid me with sleeping."

I kept my voice soft and low, "he shouldn't have given you the pills. You know that right? Did you pay him?" There were lots of cases like this around the town. I had to ask.

The question changed his posture completely. He put the mug down on the table and glared at me.

"You don't get to belittle his kind act. He was the best guy in this whole darn place. My only friend in this cursed town. Don't you dare question his intentions!!!" His voice wavered and broke at the end.

"Only friend?" I whispered in shock. Trev having only one friend was like the sky having only one star. An alien concept. He thrived with people. No wonder he couldn't sleep.

"Yes." He breathed the word out as if he was ashamed of the admission and out of nowhere tears streamed down his cheeks. He made no sound, just hung his head and let the droplets fall on his pants.

I was lost. I didn't know what to do, on one hand I wanted to reach out and hug him, on the other hand I didn't want to upset him more. I wished mom was here.

I got up from the couch and found a tissue box and silently handed it over to him. His red streaked eyes flicked up and I could see the pain in them.

"I... I need...." He trailed, more tears pooling up. I let go of the box and wrapped him in a tight hug. I had to assume that was what he needed to justify my hug. I needed to have him in my arms.