Year 7

"You could have called me mom! Shit! Look at you!"

My eyes clouded looking at her state. She had a bandage covering half of her head and a big cast on her right hand. And she was sitting all alone in the kitchen.

"And what could have you done from two hundred miles away? As you can see, I'm perfectly fine. You were coming home anyway." Mom replied calmly, ruffling my hair as I pulled a chair next to her and sat down.

"I could have started early." I was enjoying the year end party when mom was hurt and in need of assistance.

"It's all right, Jake. It's not as bad as it looks. It's a good thing actually that you both were not here. Your dad would have freaked the hell out." Dad was in Argentina for some work training.

"Does he know of the accident?"

"I just said that car had to be replaced. I don't want him to worry when he can't come home. By the time he comes home I'll be back to normal." She shrugged.

I glared, "you can't be like this mom. Seriously, when in need, you shouldn't worry about others, you should put yourself first and ask for help!"

"Stop your counseling. I did ask for help. Be a champ and reheat the soup, it's the blue bowl in the fridge." She changed the subject.

I plucked the bowl and put it in the microwave. "You cooked with one hand?"

"No dummy. Julie brought it."

"Julie?" I took the bowl out and whirred it with a spoon and took a sip. No salt. I sprinkled some in and tasted it again and again until it was tasty enough.

"Julie Marshall? Trev's mom."

"Oh. Her." I brought the bowl to the table. I knew her only in passing. She'd wave and smile and I'd do the same.

Mom tsked when I brought the bowl to the table. "You want me to finish this whole bowl now?"

"Just take it." I pushed it to her and took an apple from the basket and bit into it.

"Good morning, Ty." A honeyed voice called out from the living room.

A tall lanky boy walked in with a grin which turned to a scowl when his gaze landed on me.

Huh. I usually got the opposite reaction from people.

On closer inspection, I understood why. It was Trev.

"Wow, you have shot up real quick!" Not that I knew how long it took him to grow that tall. I kind of forgot he existed. Pre-Med school was a bitch, even for me.

"Two years isn't quick." He snapped and turned to mom, "how are you, Ty?"

"Never better. The soup is yummy, honey."

He blushed.

Oh... my... god...

"Is that why you're having the whole bowl?" Trev asked, a small smile playing about his lips.

Mom laughed. "Jake thinks this is my usual portion."

"What's the big deal? You can always put the left over back in the fridge." I shrugged.

"Merciful heavens. Ty, I can't believe he is yours." Trev shook his head and went to the fridge.

All the curls bobbed at the movement, he didn't have them long as I remembered. The loose curls were short and bounced just about his forehead in the cutest way possible.

"It's just soup, I didn't kill anyone!" I complained to mom.

Trev whirled back, "did you add salt?"

"Yes, I'm not hopeless in the kitchen."