Chapter Three

Damian settled onto the oversized couch and closed his eyes

Damian settled onto the oversized couch and closed his eyes. It was almost two in the morning and he was extremely exhausted. He had gone without sleep for more than forty-eight hours. Just at he was about to succumb to the looming darkness associated with sleep, his eyes shot open.

A loud and feminine shriek had echoed throughout the room. Even with the sound of the heavy raindrops beating against the roof, he could hear her very clearly. Sitting up, he eyed Emma. The light from the dimly lit bedside lamp illuminated her tense and sweaty face. There were tears leaking down her cheeks. She was breathing loudly and her fists we tightly clenching the covers.

"Stop please," she begged. "Stop."

Tossing his cover aside, Damian approached the bed and sat beside her on the mattress. He gently shook her shoulders. The light and unexpected touch caused her to bolt upright and she began shrieking even louder and hitting Damian with her fists.

"Emma," he called loudly. He effortlessly restrained her hands and waited for her to calm down. "You were just having a bad dream. Breathe. It's okay. No one is trying to hurt you."

She began to calm down after a minute or two. He loosened his hold on her and she pulled her hands free and reached for the covers. He clenched his hands as he watched her inspect her clothed body. His blood boiled with the heat of his sudden anger. She was checking to see if she had been violated or taken advantage of in her vulnerable state.

"You have got all your clothes on Emma. No one touched you. You're safe."

She ignored his comment and glanced around the peculiar room after she was satisfied with her self inspection. He breathing was still uneven and her eyes were still filled with tears.

"Where am I?" She asked quietly. Her wide and glossy eyes met his. "This isn't the room I was staying in. Why am I in here?"

"You're in my bedroom. I gave you the bed and I'm sleeping on the couch." He pointed to the couch with the cover draped over and the white pillows scattered on.

"Why am I in here?" She repeated her question.

Damian sighed tiredly. He knew that sharing a room with her was going to be difficult but he was determined to help her get better. He was never one to back down from a challenge especially since he was the reason for some of her pain and scars.

"The rain started falling so I lifted you in here. I let you sleep outside for as long as I could. I brought you up about twenty minutes ago. Sadly I can't control the rain and the winds. I thought that you would appreciate a room with a view, however."

He nodded his head in the direction of the glass door. Tall trees could be seen ahead swaying violently. The sky was dark but the constant bolts of lightning brightened the night's deadly darkness.

Damian cautiously reached forward and brushed a few strands of stray hair behind her ear. Emma deeply inhaled but she didn't jerk away or complain.