Chapter Ten

Past- Two Months Prior

The new year was flying by quickly. It was already the middle of May and Emma couldn't be happier. She felt at ease at the estate. The bolt on the balcony door had been removed and her freedom was increasing. She was even allowed to wander beyond the estate gates without anyone accompanying her and visit the supermarket without Dana, Eros and Damian. Sure she had to use the driver Damian assigned, but she otherwise was free to do as she pleased.

Even her mind felt at ease. She wasn't seeing a therapist but Damian helped in more ways than she imagined a therapist could. He would have long talks with her in his study where she was able to explain her feelings. He was very understanding and he gave great advice. Better yet, her nightmares where now infrequent and almost non-existent.

"Come on, Trouble." She had already fed him and taken him for his afternoon walk. She placed him in the bedroom balcony with his water and closed the door. He preferred to sleep out on the balcony as opposed to staying in the actual bedroom. He had become her companion though. She would never admit it, but she was a little jealous that he liked Damian more that he liked her despite she was the one taking caring of him.

In addition to early morning walks before work with him, she was also the one that gave him his meals. Then after work at the clinic, she would tend to Trouble first and then help Dana and Eros with their new baby, Rose.

She was very uncomfortable at first when little Rose arrived on old year's eve but she gradually warmed up to her.

She didn't even make it completely through Dana and Eros's door when a wailing Rose was dropped into the arms.

"She won't stop crying." Dana looked tired and even her cheeks were tear-stained.

Rose soon settled in Emma's arms and her sobbing subsided.

"You can get some rest. I'll keep her company."

Dana didn't need to be told twice. She hurriedly walked to her bedroom before Emma could change her mind.

With Rose still swaddled in her arms, she moved to the kitchen where she gently placed Rose into the pack and play. Afterwards, she pulled out some ingredients and got started on a brownie batter.

Just as she placed the dish with the brownie batter into the oven, Rose began to fuss. Emma quickly changed Rose's soiled nappy and gave her the bottle Dana left in the refrigerator after she warmed it.

"Where's Dana?"

Emma lowered Rose back into her pack and play and then turned to Eros.

"Sleeping in the bedroom."

Eros nodded in reply and moved to check on his daughter.