Chapter Four

Emma laid still on the bed with her eyes opened wide  There was a full moon out and it had lit up the entire bedroom

Emma laid still on the bed with her eyes opened wide There was a full moon out and it had lit up the entire bedroom.

She had spent the last three days mostly in bed. It was mainly due to her inability to sleep throughout the night. She had woken up every night since moving into Damian's bedroom in a panic and each time she had woken up Damian too. When she was in the other bedroom, the dreams still occurred but she didn't have anyone to wake or bother.

Even though he was the one refusing to let her go, she felt extremely guilty for continuously walking him. She was able to catch up on her sleep during the day, but Damian, on the other hand, was an occupied man. He was up every morning early to prepare for work despite his sleep depravation. His temper also seemed to be flaring and Emma knew that it was most likely because he was getting little to no sleep.

She had been on her best behaviour during the past few days as a result and had not even asked for a long shower or some outside time. She only spoke to him if it was absolutely necessary and didn't oppose or object to anything he said to her. She ate when he told her to, she allowed him to change her bandages without a fuss and she drank whatever medication he gave her without question. It was a tactic she had used on the round man too. She found that following his instruction without opposition saved her from additional pain and hurt.

She felt tears leaking down her cheeks as she wondered if this was how she was going to live out the rest of her life. She was doing just fine until that night. She had always gone above and beyond to save lives and the doctor in her acted without thinking that night. A day didn't go by without her reevaluating the situation she had thrown herself into. She had been a good citizen prior. She never littered or even had a parking ticket. She always paid her rent a year ahead of time and even fed the stray cats and dogs around the neighbourhood. She just couldn't understand why she was thrown into such a big mess. All she could do now was pray to the heavens.

Reaching onto the bedside table, she quietly pulled out a tissue from the box and wiped her wet cheeks and eyes. She tried her best to stifle the cries of pain and hurt that were threatening to escape her lips.

"Emma?"

She stilled and clenched the tissue. Fear enveloped her body and she didn't make a sound. Her body felt frozen.

"Emma? Are you alright?"

She hoped that he would think that she was asleep and go back to sleep. She heard him rise from the couch and she quickly pulled the cover over her body.

"I know that you're awake Emma. I also know that you did not go to sleep. It's nearly one in the morning. Why aren't you asleep as yet?"

She sat up on the bed and rested her head against the headboard.

"I'm not tired." She kept her gaze on the glass. "I'm sorry if I woke you up."

"You've been crying," he stated his observation aloud.