Chapter Six

Emma glanced around the large bedroom with a small smile

Emma glanced around the large bedroom with a small smile. The bedroom felt more like home. With her old clothing in the large, adjoined walk-in closet and her books on the small bookshelf Damian had assembled in the corner of the room, she felt more relaxed and at ease than she had in a long time.

Reluctantly, she slipped out from under the warmth of the plush, white covers and headed to the bathroom. She dressed in a pair of her pyjama pants and a dark green sweater after showering and brushing her teeth. Just as she stepped out of the bathroom, Damian entered the bedroom. Like her, he too was casually dressed in a pair of pants and a dark sweater. He held a hanger with a long, flowing, deep red dress in his hand.

"This is yours if you want it. There is a Christmas party downstairs at seven in the main hall this evening. It's only for the family but I want you to accompany me. If you don't want to attend, that's absolutely fine."

"May I think about it?" She tilted her head slightly.

"Take all the time you need," Damian replied and rested the dress over the bed. He then held the door open and gestured her out of the room and led her to the kitchen for breakfast.

When she reached the kitchen, it was noticeably empty. Damian then effortlessly lifted her onto one of the barstools. Seconds later a familiar older woman stepped into the kitchen with a medical bag around her.

Emma glanced at Damian with a worried look.

"I need to make sure that you're healthy and if you're not then the faster you're treated the better," he explained. "It's been nearly a month since you've been here. You just need a simple blood test. It's going to take less than two minutes."

Fear enveloped her body and her eyes watered. The thought of her having a possibly life-threatening disease was unsettling. Damian noticed her distress and was at her side in an instant.

"You had one when you were unconscious and all the tests were negative. You most likely have nothing to be worried about but we still need to be sure. We'll do another in two months time. Don't be too alarmed. I can have her come back later today or tomorrow if you're not up to it now."

"It's fine," she muttered quietly. Taking a deep breath she tried to regain her composure.

Emma gently rolled one of her sleeves up and tilted her head away. Damian firmly steadied her trembling hand as the older woman got to work immediately. As he promised, the woman had collected the sample in record time and was on her way. Double-checking the bandaid, he made sure that it was secured before extending the sleeve of her sweater.

"All done."

As if on cue, Eros and Dana waltzed into the kitchen.

"Morning!" Dana greeted the pair with a smile. She rose on her toes and gave Damian a quick kiss on the cheek just as he placed a plate of what appeared to be a full English breakfast on the counter in front of Emma along with a cup of tea.