Barry and Hank - Gay Play Part 5

Plot: Noho Hank joins Gene Cousineau's acting class for a hobby (and y'know... to get closer to Barry). Gene wants the class to perform a scene from any play or a scene that they wrote themselves. Hank writes a special scene for him and Barry to perform. Sally and Barry get into a little bit of conflict.

Part 5

As Barry and Hank walked up the stage stairs, Hanks heart started to beat angrily in his chest and ears. He started breathing faster and faster. 'Will you be calm? Its only a few people.' Barry says, then turns around to see Hank on the verge of tears and is hyperventilating and still walking up the stage stairs. Gene can see that Hank is nervous and calls for a tight 10 minute break. The class starts talking to each other quietly while Barry walks Hank backstage.

As they walk through the black curtain that opens up to many rooms at the back, Barry puts his arm around Hank trying to calm him down. It worked a small bit, but it instantly made Hanks heart beat increase and therefore made it worse. Barry tried everything to calm Hank down, breathing techniques and drinking some cold water. 'Barry, what is this, why, why am I feeling like this, I don't know-' Hank says in a breaking, cracking, sad and embarrassed voice that actually made Barry hurt a little. He didn't know why but it did.

'Hank, calm down, you're just having a panic attack, its ok.. just breathe with me ok? Ready?' Hank tried and tried hard to breathe with Barry and calm down. It worked slightly but he was still panicking after 3 minutes. Unexpectedly, Barry quickly and swiftly pulls Hank into a tight hug so that Hank wouldn't be able to stop the hug. Almost immediately Hank grabbed the back of Barry's t-shirt and started to sob a little harder. To Barry, it was just a hug between, what he considered, was 2 friends.

That was all it was.. wasn't it? To Hank, his world had suddenly cleared up, the loud heartbeat of his slowed down quickly, but not entirely. He couldn't help but hug Barry back, no matter how it made Barry feel, Hank knew he was meant to be here, at this moment, in Barry's arms. 'Hey, hey buddy, are you ok? Do you need some water? Do you need to talk or something? I'm here.. I'm here, don't worry.' Hanks breathing started to hitch 'Hey, no don't cry, I'm here. Everything's fine. I used to have panic attacks my first couple days in Afghanistan, the only thing that would calm me down, was thinking of home and things that I loved.'

Barry said that in the most concerned, soft voice Hank had ever heard out of anyone in his entire life. He was still crying, but now it was more because of Barry hugging him. Hanks breathing slowed down a little bit. Barry had stopped talking and they both stood there hugging each other tightly. Every now and again, Barry would rub Hanks back and whisper 'shh, shh shh its all ok, I'm here. I'm here'. This made Hank extremely comfortable and he started to believe that Barry actually might have liked him as a friend... possibly more.

Then, after 2 more minutes of hugging Barry broke the silence once again and proceeded with this 'You know, I'm really, really sorry about how I talked to you at the shop that day.. I never intended on hurting your feelings, you know that right? Hank? You know I love you right-' Barry cuts himself off, not believing the words that just came out of his mouth, but he continued hugging Hank until Hanks hitched breathing had subsided, still locking Barry in the hug, as he sensed it was coming to an end, he said 'I love you too Barry' Hank lets go of the back of Barry's t-shirt and they pull away. Barry and Hank stare at each other, Barry asking if Hank was ok now and Hank agreed and thanked him.