6

Mumbo's Pov

  My eyes opened slowly, expecting to be in my base, waking up to the sunrise streaming through the windows. Instead, I was reminded of what was actually happening. A stone wall, metal bars, and an uncomfortable concrete floor. My brain flashed through everything that happened the night before, including watching Sam drag Grian into the other cell. I sat up and looked over and saw Grian, sitting in the corner of his cell with his head on his knees in a sort of fetal position. 

        "Grian? Grian, can you hear me?" I asked, unsure if he was awake.

        "Yeah Mumbo, I'm awake." He spoke weakly without even looking up at me. 

        "Are you ok? Did he hurt you? Let me see your face." I spoke softly and he lifted his head to look at me. He had tears streaming down his face and looked broken inside.

        "I'm so sorry Mumbo. I never should have let him near you. I should have told you about him. I just froze when I saw him, and now we are both here, and we may never get and I'm so sorry." He put his head in his hands again in defeat and I was confused.

        "Why are you convinced this is your fault? You couldn't have known this weirdo would come and kidnap us." I tried to reassure him but it didn't help.

        "But I should have seen it coming..." He admitted sadly.

        "Why?!" I asked, still desperate for an answer. 

        "Because Gree-on and I have some history together," Sam remarked as he entered the room. Grian visibly shuttered, and I remembered his face when I called him Gree-on. It was just as distressing and vacant as he was now. 

        "Wait, Grian, you know this psychopath?" 

        "This 'Psychopath' was his best friend before you entered the picture," Sam responded while Grian stayed quiet. "I just came in here to check if you two were still alive in here and I guess to give you some food so..." Sam threw a bottle of water and a red bag of chips with a word I didn't recognize on them into my cell. I grabbed the "Tauritos" hesitantly before nearly swallowing each chip whole. He threw the same to Grian, but he still didn't move. "And Gree-on, just so you know, this is your fault. If you hadn't betrayed me, we wouldn't be in this situation." 

        "What are you talking about?" I asked hesitantly and Sam just laughed in response. 

        "You'll have to ask Gree-on what I mean. Go on, Grian, tell him how you ruined our friendship." Sam walked out of the room and slammed the door behind him, causing both Grian and I to flinch. 

        "Grian?" I sat expectantly, and Grian started to talk still with his head down. 

        "It all started back in high school..." 

I am getting a resurgence in excitement for this book. Also, in the rest of the chapters, every time Sam says Grian, I'm gonna just write it as "Grian" instead of writing out "Gree-on" cause that's becoming annoying. But I'm real excited to write this next chapter cause it's gonna be a fun flashback. It may not be super long, but it'll be cool. Anyway, now that I've talked for way longer than I needed to, I hope you have a nice day/night, and you are lovely.