★CHAPTER SEVEN★

ZAYN

She thought she was smart––thinking we didn't know she was listening to our conversation. She thought she could use it against us.

She was wrong.

Because we were smarter.

And whatever we wanted, we got.

Anas and Zeeshan had already made a bet with me. Sure, it wasn't sealed as yet since I had no idea what I was getting in return but I was going to do it no matter what. 

"No," I smoothly, drily replied to Anas. The game hadn't even started and already I was tired. "I'm not interested in your stupidities."

Anas tutted, looking in the direction of the rusty gate, to where Leia and Hoor sat outside on the left. I turned my own gaze to the screen in front, seeing both of them sitting on the bench, eavesdropping on us.

It was ridiculous.

This whole plan. Mostly because it made a quiver of thrill run through me.

Pretty sure I wasn't supposed to feel that way about a stupid bet.

We had––Anas and Zeeshan, actually––come up with a plan right after we saw Leia sitting outside. The whole school knew this was our private spot, which is why nobody dared step foot in our premises. I'm assuming I had Zeeshan to thank since he was the one who introduced Hoor, his frenemy/step-sister/unrequited love, who in turn must've brought her new friend here.

"Come on, Z," Anas rolled his eyes, shooting me a knowing grin. "We all know you live for this shit. I bet you can't make Leia fall in love with you."

And there it was. The little game plan.

Except, it wasn't really the true thing.

This was for Leia to hear––just the look of shock on her face was worth it––and digest. Because the real bet? That wasn't for her innocent ears.

I felt a twinge of something. It was like an angry monstrous voice in my head that deafened me for a second. I knew what it was. Possessiveness. But I'd rather die than admit that to myself or anyone else. 

I also knew why I felt that way. Anas had said 'fall in love', when in fact he meant something very different. He was talking about our real bet. The one that wasn't exactly sealed yet.

If either of these two pricks knew the amount of guilt that rested on my chest, they'd question my manliness. It wasn't my fault that I felt emotions. No matter how much I tried to bury them, I'd never been able to do it with Leia.

And I more than despised that, trust me.

Okay. Maybe don't trust me. Since I was . . . you know, betting on some crap like money and deceiving a person. Also known as my . . . Whoever the hell she was to me.

Nothing, I tried to convince myself. She meant nothing to me.

Which is why I had to agree to this bet. Also, the fact that she left me when I needed her most. How she didn't even try to contact me. Ever. She had said yesterday that she had her reasons but I knew better.

I was just stupid enough to let untrustworthy people into my heart and soul and when they were done with me, they moved on.

That's what my parents had done. And the worst part was, she knew what my mother had done to me. I'd opened up my heart to her. Which is what pissed me off the most.

It wasn't seeing my mother­­––the woman who abandoned me when I was three––on her deathbed that saddened me. It was the fact that Leia wasn't by my side when I needed her to tell me everything would be alright.