★CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE★

ZAYN
I could hear tiny footsteps speedily walking and I had to hold in a highly-amused chuckle. Her mother had asked me to stay by the main door while she informed her Dad. Basically she wanted to buy her daughter time to run to her room.

"You'd better stop running from me," I whispered to nobody in particular.

I was finally let into the lounge. There was dust all over the sofas and tables and . . . everything. I was getting OCD but I tried not to let it show on my face as I sat down, a smile in place.

At least I thought I was smiling. God, please I hoped I wasn't grimacing.

I didn't want to make them feel bad but they really should have gotten their house cleaned. It really wasn't nice.

Was the baby living in such conditions? I was fiercely angry.

Heck, I could feel myself getting sick and he was a child! As if on instinct, I sneezed three times in a row. Eek.

There was a murmur and I recognized that voice to be Leia's immediately. I looked up and embarrassing myself, all I did was wheeze. She looked . . . healthy.

Not her face; that was just too-dark dark circles and her full mouth seemed a little less pink, her face ghostly pale.

But her body.

Holy . . .

I couldn't even see anything with her robe but I saw enough. It was enough.

I blinked, seeing her face resemble a tomato as she stood there wringing her hands, gazing at her Dad. She didn't, not once, look my way. No, she just walked and sat beside her Dad, looking at her lap.

Funnily, it put her directly in my view and my crazy heart just wanted to gaze at her for some hours. Perhaps days. Years.

But damn if I wasn't amused. "Assalaamualaikum," I made it clear I was talking to her, since she hadn't bothered.

She murmured what I assumed was a reply. Oh, so that's how it was going to be?

Uncle continued where our conversation had left off while Leia whispered something to her mother, who nodded and went away. Honestly, I was distracted and was wondering what she was saying more than I was listening to Uncle. Until he asked the ultimate question.

"Your father didn't come?"

I stiffened. Leia's head whirled back to her Dad as she shot him a silencing look.

"Did I say something wrong?" He said in not-so-much-a-whisper.

"Dad,"

"It's okay," I affirmed, trying to rein in . . . well, everything. "I talked to him yesterday. He's in the UK; he'll be back in a few days." I left out the part where he demanded why I had called him and what this whole thing meant.

You kidding me, boy? You're gonna marry at this age? Eighteen? It's going to end up in failure anyway. You and I, we're the same.

It was difficult to sleep after that conversation. Was I really capable of being the head of a family? To provide for their needs at all time? Before talking to him I was one hundred per cent sure but . . .

I had decided to come on my own. Rather than letting that man get to me and waiting for him to come here so he could humiliate Leia and her family, I took matters into my own hands. Just the way it had been from the beginning.

"And your mother?"

I shot Leia a look. Clearly, she hadn't told him anything

"Dad," Leia warned again. "I'll tell you everything later."

I directed my speech to Leia. "I don't mind,"

She looked down with a flush. I needed to talk to her alone but I wasn't sure how to bring it up with her parents without sounding rude.

Uncle coughed, keeling over. Leia looked at him worriedly, patting his back in haste. I noticed how she winced. Was she still in pain? I'd tried to give her time and not rushed so she had time to heal and be prepared.

She had already told me that she and Ammar had been separated way before the divorce. She hadn't been physical with him for the past five months so there was no need for Iddah.

Over the phone, Uncle had also interviewed me about what I earned and how I managed to set up a business at such a young age. I didn't tell him that when you had a father like mine, you had to ensure that you were high up in the power ladder, both for your safety and to fulfill your basic needs of housing, eating and clothing.

There was no one to look after me so I had to do everything myself.

Plus, I had connections and that was mostly a good thing.

"I'm okay, Leia," Uncle affectionately rubbed her head. Then, stared up at me. "So, tell me what the two of you have decided."

I cleared my throat, pointedly looking at Leia, who only blushed and looked into her lap again. Okay. Seriously, though. Wasn't she being a little too shy? And why was I . . . relishing it?

"Leia should decide that," I said. If it were up to me, I'd get married to her right now and take her home with me.

I didn't say that out loud for obvious reasons.

"Friday?" Leia squeaked.

My chest lit up with a thousand stars. But Uncle was shocked; Aunty only smiled a little.

"This Friday?" He bellowed, only to go into a coughing fit.

My brows pushed down. He really didn't seem to be okay.

"I have no problem if you don't," I shrugged, trying to sound nonchalant and all professional. What was going on inside was an entirely different story.

Leia frowned, as if she didn't like my tone and I froze, seeing the look of fear in her eyes. Did she truly not trust me? I tried to soften my features, my eyes, and she relaxed visibly.

It was my damn fault that she even had a single doubt. Disgusted at myself, I was unable to look at her.

A loud cry broke out and Leia stumbled straight out of the sofa, running fleet-footed to wherever Abdar Rahman was crying.

I wanted to see what he looked like after all this time. He must've been chubbier now. I barely managed to control myself and keep seated, answering more of Uncle's questions.

It was decided, I guess.

I was getting married this week.

•••
All right, so guys, in the last chapter I said it had been 20 days since Leia had been discharged from the hospital but I have changed it to 40 because, in order for a woman to get married after giving birth, the postpartum bleeding stage has to stop.
Happy reading!<3