★CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT★

ZAYN
I blocked the doctor's way. "How is she?"

Sweat clung to her forehead, and the smile she gave me was tired. I guess a six-hour operation did that to someone.

"We had to do a C-section, so she's as fine as one can be. Right now, she's anaesthetized so that's a relief."

I heaved a sigh. She was fine. Leia was okay. "And the baby?"

This time, she grinned. "Oh, your son is perfect, Masha Allah."

Her words were like a blow to the heart. I stumbled back a step.

"Oh. Okay, thank you."

She left after giving me another smile.

I fell into the chair and ran an aggravated hand through my hair.

A son.

My Leia was now a mother.

After she got divorced, she would need someone to support her. Someone who could offer her and the baby safety. Would she accept me?

God, I hoped so.

After collecting myself, I pulled out Leia's phone from my pocket, knowing I had to let her family know. But there lay my first hurdle; guessing her passcode.

Like the crazy person I was, I tried my name.

Yeah, well, I knew I was stretching it too far.

Ten minutes later, I finally got it. 123456.

Seriously. Who could've guessed.

I cleared my throat, shifting in my chair and called her Dad.

"Leia!" A throaty voice sounded from the other end. Well, I guess he must be worried. "Where have you been? Leia!"

"Uhm. Assalaamualaikum,"

I swear the silence was so loud, I heard the crickets outside the solid walls. "Who are you? Where is Leia?"

I guess I didn't need to shift to Urdu. He was British, after all. "I'm sorry I called so late, Uncle. I had to take Leia to the hospital and the past few hours have been very stressful."

"What happened to her?" His otherwise weak voice rose an octave with alarm.

I should've called sooner. "She gave birth,"

"What?"

I repeated myself, relating the whole situation to him.

"But I don't understand why she called you," he droned. "Who are you?"

Was there a way to put this? "Leia and I . . . we knew each other way back." I had no other words. Nothing to describe our relationship. What the hell were we anyway?

"I think we have some things to discuss, young man," His voice took over a protectiveness I didn't understand because my father had never cared about me. "But at the moment, tell me which hospital you took her to."

I opened my mouth to say something when he started speaking to someone. His wife, most likely.

"No no, she's fine," His muffled voice said. "All right, son, where are you?"

I rattled off the name and he thanked me, saying he'd be here in no time.

I wished Ammar wouldn't come.

I didn't want to see him again.

And I really did need to talk to Leia about what she wanted to do next.

Fine.

Maybe I was curious about the kid too.