Cookie Crumble

The next morning Ben met Audrey out by the courtyard. Ben didn't sleep well and it showed. His eyes were sunken and dark as his hair was messy. His shirt wasn't tucked in all the way. Audrey looked him up and down. "Benny-Boo. Are you okay!?", she shrieked.

"I'm...not sick. Just butterflies in my stomach.", Ben replied.

"What can I do to help? My poor sweet Prince!", she said clinging to him.

"Audrey...", he said placing his hands on her shoulders and separating them.

"What is it?", Audrey said with a sinking voice.

"I think we need to break up.", Ben finally admitted.

     Ben's eyes darted away. Audrey held her hands to her chest because she felt as if it was about to spill out. The tears cascading down her cheeks. Ben tried to hug her but she jerked away. "I need to go. I'm not feeling so good.", she wept as she ran off.
     The Prince felt gross with himself. He went to first period Biology still disheveled. Carlos came walking up. His smile seemed slight and he noticed the boy slide something across the table. "What's this?", Ben said.

"Chocolate. I owe you something for the days you got me breakfast because I was late.", Carlos answered.

"You don't have to do that.", Ben argued.

"I know I don't HAVE TO but I WANT TO.", Carlos said.

"Did you really wake up early to get this?", Ben asked with a smirk.

"Actually...", Carlos said pulling another chocolate bar out for himself, "I got it last night so I wouldn't forget one even if I oversleep.", he answered.

     The two laughed at that and clinked their chocolate together. They continued class and went their separate ways.
     Come lunch time, Carlos distanced himself from the plan. He didn't want to watch this happen. Mal, Evie, and Jay gathered by the lockers. "Where is Carlos?", Mal said angrily.

"I have a feeling he won't be coming.", Jay said slowly.

"What!?", Mal raged.

"Listen, we can still do this.", Jay assured.

The three of them got into formation. Jay and Evie stood a couple feet away from them as Mal walked up to Ben at his locker. "Hi Benny-Boo!", Mal greeted with her best Audrey imitation.

"Hey Mal. What's up?", Ben said being nice.

"Well, I wanted to thank you for everything so I baked you cookies.", she said holding out the container.

"Oh, thank you but I'm not exactly hungry at the moment.", Ben declined.

"It's okay. I get it. I'm a Villain Kid from the Isle...", Mal started when Ben interrupted.

"No! See?", he showed her by taking a mouthful of a cookie. He didn't want to offend her.

Jay then shoved himself into Ben who fell to the floor. Mal went to go help him up and their eyes met. Ben felt weird for a moment. His pain from this morning eased and was filled with warmth. Mal looked really pretty to him. Which was weird because Ben never saw her in that light. "Are you okay?", Mal said with an innocent tone.

"Uh...yeah. Just feel a little fuzzy.", Ben replied very confused.

"Here's let me help you up.", Mal said.

"Mal, would you like to go out on a date sometime?", Ben asked.

"Yes, but what about Audrey?", Mal asked cautiously to see if the spell actually worked.

"Who?", Ben answered.

     With that, Ben set up to pick Mal up on Saturday morning for their date. Mal was pleased that the spell worked even though she had zero interest in Ben but knew her mother would be proud.