Enchanted Lake

Everyone was talking about Mal and Ben after his performance. She smiled at remembering Audrey's face when Ben sang to her. Although it was weird to her that Carlos and Jay ran off like that. Evie stepped out of the bathroom. Mal had on the dress Evie made her and was ready for hair and make up. "Mal...we need to talk.", Evie said grimly.

"What's wrong?", Mal asked.

"I think we need to reverse the spell.", Evie answered.

"Out of the question. We are so close to that wand.", Mal said with a bit of anger and desperation in her voice.

"Mal...", Evie sighed.

"No! This is my chance to prove myself to my mother.", Mal snapped.

"Mal, you're always proving yourself to your mother. The only difference this will make is that she will be all powerful.", Evie stated. "Besides, that's not why I think we need to reverse the spell.", she continued.

"What? Then why?", Mal said.

"Do you remember yesterday on the field? Where did Carlos and Jay go?", Evie said.

"I'm not sure. I was going to ask them later about it because it was super weird.", Mal replied.

"Well, you should know that this spell is hurting Carlos.", Evie said sitting down next to Mal and cupping her hand.

"How? He wasn't physically attached to the spell.", Mal said with skepticism.

"Not physically attached to the spell but emotionally attached to Ben.", Evie answered.

     Mal just looked at Evie dumbfounded and trying to process what she was saying. It hit her like a ton of bricks. Carlos loves Ben. To be honest, she wasn't surprised and in fact questioned Ben's sexuality as well but then shrugged it off considering Audrey was in the picture. "I've got to finish getting ready...", Mal said as she walked away. Evie looked more concerned for what this might mean for everyone.
     It was time for Carlos to take matters into his own hands. At least that is what he told himself. He snuck out of his room early that morning and went into the Courtyard. Carlos sent Ben a text.

"Ben, please meet me in the Courtyard. I have something important to tell you."

About twenty minutes passed and Ben showed up to Carlos waiting patiently with Dude by the fountain. It made Ben really happy to see Carlos hit it off with the dog. "Hey Carlos, how come you asked me here?", Ben inquired.

"I just...I need to try something. Just to give me peace of mind. I know you have your date with Mal but please just keep an open mind.", Carlos said.

     Ben nodded slowly with a bit of confusion. With that Carlos pulled Ben close and kissed him. To Carlos this kiss was sparks flying between their lips. It was better than chocolate and his heart was ready to explode with joy and nervous butterflies. However, pulling away he saw that Ben looked dazed and confused. Ben took a few steps backwards. "Carlos, I'm sorry but I have to go meet up with Mal.", he said walking away.
     Carlos' heart sank. He figured if Ben and him were actually in love than he could break Mal's spell with True Love's Kiss like in all the stories here in Auradon. He sulked back to his room to find Jay and Evie both sitting on Jay's bed. "Hey, what's wrong?", Evie asked.

"I tried to break the spell.", Carlos said.

"How?", Jay wondered.

"With True Love's Kiss.", Evie answered knowing from Carlos' face that it didn't work.

     The small boy nodded as he curled up between Evie and Jay to cry in their arms. The two assuring him everything is going to be fine.
Ben had Mal hop onto his moped. The ride through the forest was bumpy and nerve racking for Mal. When they reach the Enchanted Lake it was beautiful. Ben revealed a full picnic lunch for them. Mal laughed because she knew this was Ben's idea of a good time. "Here are some Strawberries.", Ben offered.

"I love strawberries.", Mal said softly.

"I know. I think the world now knows you love strawberries, Carlos loves chocolate, Evie loves fashion, and Jay is competitive.", Ben answered.

"I don't think everyone knows that. Do they?", Mal asked.

"Mal, my goal for bringing you four here was to show that you all are not your parents. The school has gotten to learn and care about you guys because you let us.", Ben explained.

"You have?", Mal said with a queasiness in her stomach as Ben nodded.

"Now with that said. Do you wanna go for a swim?", Ben asked.

"Maybe...I can just watch. With the barrier we don't swim a lot. The only place to swim is in Hook's lagoon and it's filled with sharks.", Mal replied.

"Wow...that's horrible. I've been swimming here since I was a kid. I couldn't imagine not having it.", Ben said sadly.

     Ben removed his shirt and shoes starting for the rocks at a higher point. Mal watched cautiously as he climbed to the top. Ben was yelled out in excitement as he jumped high in the air and finally came down into the water in a big splash.
     Mal was in her own head. Auradon has accepted the Core Four as members of their society. With the exception of Audrey and her crew. She felt conflicted. She wanted to still make her mother proud but she also didn't want to betray the trust of this new home.
     Ben finally came out of the water and waved his hand in her face bringing her back to this very moment. She was awake and they finished their picnic and went back onto the Moped.
     Mal was dropped off in front of the dorms. She thanked Ben for the amazing day and was surprised at how much of a gentleman he was being. Most boys on the Isle would've gone for a kiss right when they picked her up. Maybe more for Gaston's Twins. She walked back to the room with not a look of happiness but a look of regret. Evie turned to her with a face that expressed concern. "Evie?", Mal said.

"Yes...", Evie replied.

"I don't know if I could go through with the plan.", Mal sighed.