4

I sighed as I walked through the halls of Dauntless. I was tired, in pain and wanted sleep. Despite not doing much today, my ribs were killing me.

It felt like someone was punching them over and over again. I tried to hide the pain and keep training the initiates but it got way too bad. I guess I didn't take enough Morphine cause it was hard for me to even stand up straight. Zeke had noticed that I was in pain and decided to take the initiates off my hands

I owe him a drink now.

I let out a small chuckle but instantly regretted it, the pain had traveled down my side, making me hunch over and groan in pain. I felt tears sting my eyes as I tried to hold in the moan that almost escaped my mouth.

"I'm almost to my room, I can make it." I thought as I leaned against the wall, hoping for a small bit of relief.

Damn it, this was all Eric's fault. When I see him, I'm going to punch him.

I stopped walking when I heard footsteps. They were getting louder and louder, coming towards me.

I let out a groan before sucking in a deep breath and straightening up. My body automatically wanted to curl back up and sit on the floor.

We're just gonna have to suck it up.

"Jessica."

I turned my head and saw Max walking over with his usual cocky smirk on his face. I rolled my eyes, slightly relieved that he didn't have those two bodyguards next to him.

It made me feel paranoid when they were around, like something was going to happen.

"Max."

"How are you feeling?" He asked as he stepped closer and placing his hand on my bare shoulder.

A shiver went down my spine, as his cold hand slightly squeezed my shoulder.

"Damn man, jump in a fire you're freezing!" I thought as he pulled his hand away.

I crossed my arms and shrugged. "I'm fine, I don't even know why everyone's making a big deal."

I guess my body didn't like me lying since the sharp feeling began to hurt me more, causing me to shift uncomfortably.

I knew Max could see passed my my bullshit. He looked at me up and down and his lips curled, as if he was holding back a laugh.

Dick

"That's good, cause I need you to do something for me." He said giving me a fake smile.

are you fucking kidding me?!

I raised a brow, signaling him to continue.

"I need you to find Eric and come to a meeting. I need you both there."

I wanted to groan and throw myself on the floor. I didn't want to go, I wanted to have a glass of wine and sleep. I didn't want to deal with my responsibilities right now.

I wanted to ask him why he didn't just go looking for Eric himself but that would mean I have to talk to him longer, and my side was really kicking my ass right now.

"Yeah." Was all I said as I turned and walked into my room.

As soon as the door closed, I slid down the wall and let out a groan. "God damn it." I growled.

I held onto my ribs and was tempted to just punch them for hurting so much. I just wanted it to stop.

I guess the doctor was right about taking it easy and staying in bed.