• Chapter 16 •

• Luca •

Today was probably the worst day I've had in a while. Like I had expected I got cornered for defending Tyler. The beatings were worse today, Mike was really riled up and Jordan always loved a good punch. So it was double the fury. Usually, it was only Jordan who did the most damage but now both of them were on my back.

So here I was walking nervously towards Angela with a split lip and a black eye. I pulled my hoodie over my head trying to hide the injuries as best as possible but no matter what, Angela would see it. I knew, there was no point of trying to hide it.

Angela's snapped to meet my cowering gaze and I felt like fading into the shadows. Her eyes immediately narrowed as her deep grey eyes scanned my bruised skin.

I licked my lips leaving states of blood in my mouth. "¡Luca! ¿Qué mierdas le pasó a tu cara? ¿Quién te hizo esto?" She yelled, making me flinch slightly. I knew this was coming.

"It's nothing, it's just a little-"

"A little?!" She huffed, exasperated as crossed her arms over her chest. "Te está saliendo sangre del labio, dime quién te golpeó así!" her words were filled with anger though her voice wavered slightly.

Angela had found out about the bullying last year. She even punched Jordan once but it didn't really work. She got really upset when she found out, she was furious that I hadn't told her before. But I was scared.

"It was no one," I lied, though her disbelieving eye-roll confirmed she knew I wasn't telling the truth.

"Enough with the lies, Luca. Who are you trying to protect? Those guys who beat you up? Well, guess what Luca, if you don't stand up to them things will get a whole lot worse," her words felt like venom causing my stomach lurched uneasily. I turned my gaze to the ground feeling pathetic and embarrassed.
Angela let out a small sigh. "I'm sorry, it just gets me so annoyed to see you get hurt and when you just let it happen-" her voice cracked and my gaze snapped to meet hers.

"Please don't cry," I whispered, as Angela's lip quivered, her eyes brimming with tears. She nodded weakly but pulled me into a hug before burying her head on my shoulder.

I didn't want to make Angela cry.

"Luca," She sniffled, pulling away from me. Her face was blotchy and tear-streaked and all I wanted was to make it all go away. "I hate the fact that you just let yourself get walked over all the time,"

"I'm okay," I pressed, wrapping my arms around my self before shooting her a weak smile. "I swear,"

"Don't lie to me, hermano." She mumbled, caressing my cheek softly with a sad look on her face. After a few silent seconds, she wiped her tears away from my face and composed herself as best as possible. "Dad called, he asked if we could come today to meet...her,"

My stomach dropped. He could have chosen any day, any other fucking day. But he had to choose today. The day where I had a busted lip and black eye. Jesus is really out to get me. "T-today?" I choked out, a lump forming in my throat.

Angela sighed, shaking her head slightly. "Oh, Luca," she muttered, running a hand through my hair. "You should tell him,"

"No way," I huffed, narrowing my eyes at her. "You promised you wouldn't tell mami. You can't tell papi either."

"I promised as long as things don't get out of hand. But Luca, look at your face, this has been going on for too long," she said, frustration seeping into her voice. "Luca, you'll get seriously hurt one day,"