• Chapter 27 •

• Tyler •

Luca was acting weird lately.

He wasn't being his usual self. He started getting really quiet around me again. Just when I thought we had gotten past stuttering it was back again and I couldn't help but feel like I had done something wrong. I felt like he hadn't yet forgiven me for telling Jordan.

It was my fault after all. I was so fucking dumb. How could I expect him to trust me after that?

I didn't want to lose him. I really liked spending time with him. He's one of the sweetest people I know.

"Hey, Tyler," I heard Iris say as she snapped her fingers in front of my face. I jerked out of thoughts. "What are you thinking about?"

I let out a sigh. "I'm sorry, it's just Luca."

"Yeah, you've been really distracted by him these few days. Is everything okay? You can talk to me you know," she said, and I felt her hand on my shoulder her thumb circling it comfortingly.

"I know," I said, biting my lip hesitantly. "He's just on my mind a lot right now,"

"Do you know why?" She asked her voice almost slipping into a smug tone.

"He isn't talking to me like we used to," I said, ignoring her change in tone. "He's kind of ignoring me lately and I feel bad. I feel like he hasn't forgiven me,"

"Didn't he like hug you after you gave him the cookies? I wouldn't hug someone I haven't forgiven. Just saying," she said, chuckling slightly before playfully hitting my shoulder.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah he did and I felt really happy when he did but it's just, he's being more closed off around me again." I said, rubbing the back of neck uncomfortably. I wanted to tell Iris but when I did I felt like I was being intensely judged.

Maybe I was being ridiculous.

"Yeah, I understand. I see it too," she said, her voice turning almost sad.

"So you get what I mean right?"

"Yeah, I do. But I think you should give him some time. He's been going through some shit, you know. I didn't want to bring this up but last year he um, he tried to kill himself," she said, her voice lowering.

"I um, I know," I said, dropping my head so she couldn't see my face.

"He told you?" She asked, her voice filled with surprise.

"Not really," I said, sheepishly. "It's a long story never mind that," I felt my cheeks heat up thinking about the incident. I was so stupid.

"Okay," She said, her words filled with curiosity. "Anyway, just give him time. I'm sure he'll come to you,"

"I hope so," I said, leaning back on the cafeteria seat. I didn't want to lose Luca. Not like this. Not ever. I had grown really attached to the boy without realizing the fact. I enjoyed spending time with him more than anything. He made me feel normal.
Iris did too, but with him, things were almost different. I didn't know why or how but they just were.

***

I walked out into the school parking lot with Iris on my side. She was giggling about an incident that happened with a guy she was crushing on. "Anirudh is literally so nice," she said but my head was still filled with thoughts about Luca. Iris slapped my arm, the contact causing the area to sting.