06 | Teach Me Some Magic

IN THE LITTLE WITCH'S PRIVATE CHAMBERS

Judah hadn't thought twice before he'd barged into his half-sister's bedchamber that evening. And for that, he'd paid a dire price.

"Kora!" he grunted in pain when his body was unceremoniously smashed against the door he'd just waltzed through, shutting it closed with a loud bang. He supposed she wasn't worried about disturbing that entire wing, because in Oroden, what happened in the rooms, stayed in the rooms.

"What is wrong with you?!"

"What are you doing here?" Princess Kora hissed, right hand outstretched towards Judah's still body. Clad in her nightgown, the princess' eyes glowed green in silent fury amid the dim, flickering candlelight illuminating in her private quarters.

Judah, on the other hand, cursed and shut his eyes as the back of his head throbbed wildly. But before he could pry them open once more and adjust to her silhouette, another stifling sensation constricted him in place.

He couldn't move. His body was squeezing together, begging to be released, but no matter how much he tried to break free, the invisible claws only seemed to grip him tighter.

"Tell me what you want." Her demanding voice low and steps measured, the princess approached her victim with an infuriated look etched on her face.

It took almost all of Judah's willpower to speak. "How...do you expect...me to tell you..." he spattered, "when you're choking me!"

Kora still appeared spiteful, but reluctantly dropped her hand and released him from her spell, not even the least bit remorseful when Judah hit the ground like a sack of bones.

"What do you want, Judah?" she asked yet again, turning away from his moaning body to quickly snatch something that lay on her bed.

Judah noticed the defensive action and continued to after she slipped it under her mountain of pillows, but he was still recovering from her recent assault to care much about it.

"You've never come here before," she accused as she sat on the edge of her bed, her eyes returning to their usual silver. Princess Kora eyed the direction of the half-Shade's grunts as he struggled to rise and sighed impatiently. "I am not going to wait all night."

The bastard prince in question cursed inwardly when he finally got on his feet. His back burned, but at least he had regained control of his body and could feel the magic wearing off.

Glaring at the culprit, Judah leaned his body against the door before he murmured, "I have always wondered why you have no friends." He let his head fall against the wooden barrier behind him. "I can't even pretend to like you."

"What is it you want?"

Judah watched his half-sister carefully. "A favour."

Kora scoffed, rose from her bed and headed towards what Judah supposed was Griffin's large crib on the opposite side of the bedchamber. She sauntered across the room so fluidly that he forgot for a second that she was without sight. Again.

And why were the candles even lit in the first place? She couldn't see!

Judah waited, but the shoe-mould still didn't say anything. "Well?" he insisted, getting impatient.

"You really think I would grant you a favour after what you failed to do?" she asked rhetorically, petting the sleeping beast, but Judah answered anyway.

"Yes, you would." He moved away from the door and stood upright. "I knew what you would ask of me would be stupid. And I was right. You even had the audacity to lie to my face."