10 | Till We Meet Again, Oh Kingdom of Gold

FINALLY, LAST MOMENTS IN ORODEN

IN THE BASTARD PRINCE'S QUARTERS OF GRACE

That evening, while the other royals were commemorating the recent nuptials in the Great Hall, a certain half-Shade was torn between marching out of his bedchamber without making eye contact with a single soul, and abandoning the insane Shade waiting by the kingdom's border to avoid losing all he had come to gain.

Damn her, Judah thought in agitation, stashing an extra shirt into the drawstring bag with unnecessary force. Damn that short, persuasive maniac.

The queen-sized bed creaked as he packed in the last of his clothing, and Judah had to restrain himself before his next shove collapsed its quivering wooden frame.

Sighing in frustration, Judah tightened the bag's strings in one pull and contemplated for the umpteenth time whether or not he was truly in his right mind.

What on Gregon's Land have I gotten myself into?

He couldn't believe he was forsaking a life of luxury to embark on a meaningless journey that might ensure his never-return.

All for a Shade he barely knew.

That sole reason was what baffled Judah beyond his mind's reach. He had no idea who Naomi truly was or if she could be trusted. But like a fool, he was about to follow her to his impending doom.

He knew it didn't make sense. By the Supreme, Judah knew he was being a complete halfwit. But there was just something about her, something so compelling that called to him.

Something surreal.

It could be that he hadn't been around a fellow Shade in a while, so he would be more attuned to the first one that crossed his path. That did make sense, but Judah highly doubted that was the case.

He had the strange feeling that the invisible pull that linked him to Naomi was capable of being strong enough to coax him into doing anything that may or may not cost him his life. Just for her.

Which, one could understand, was a bit of a problem.

Confused and more frustrated than ever, Judah released his hold on the drawstrings and rubbed his eyelids with his right forefinger and thumb. He then proceeded to mumble to himself with uncertainty when the soothing motion didn't seem to be doing him any good.

"The Supreme help me," he chuckled lightly and without humour, "I'm going insane."

Almost immediately after he'd uttered those words, the door to his private quarters groaned at its hinges and Judah felt the aura of the little witch before he even heard her speak.

"You might be," Kora replied to his comment as if it had been directed at her, shutting the oak barrier softly before she took one step into the dimly lit bedchamber.

Her sudden appearance, in addition to her irritating voice, prompted an exaggerated sigh out of Judah, who was in no mood to have a conversation with the intruding shoe-mould.

"I'm afraid you have caught me at a very comprising position, Your Royal Highness," he drawled, dropped his fingers from his eyes, and grabbed the drawstrings once more, effortlessly hoisting the bag over his shoulder. "I haven't got any clothes on."