Chapter 22: A Momentary Lapse in Judgement

𝒞𝒶𝓁𝓁 𝑜𝓃 𝓂𝑒 𝓂𝓎 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝓎 𝒹𝒶𝓎 𝑜𝓇 𝒶𝓃𝓎 𝓃𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉

He felt his blood turn cold and Edward held him close to him as the trio walked closer. 

"No matter what, stay behind us."

Laurent was in the lead and Victoria and James followed behind him with dark glares. The three stopped a few feet away and Laurent had something in his hand.

"Sorry to interrupt your game friend but we were about to leave this place for good when I heard something quite fascinating followed by a chunk of this hitting James square in the head."

Laurent opened his fingers and a chunk of the obliterated the metal baseball was in his hand. Carlisle took the tactical approach and extended his hand to Laurent as he spoke.

"Sorry to have hit him, we were playing ball and our dear Emmett hit the ball a little too hard. We apologize for having hit James in anyway."

Laurent took his hand and bowed respectfully. James suddenly realized that Victoria and the other James didn't realize who he was... how strange...

"It is only of minor inconvenience friend. We'd ask to join in a game with you but I doubt... your son would be willing after James so callously attacked them. He is sorry by the way. He hadn't feed in a while and the scent drove him absolutely insane. We just wanted to make it known that we are leaving for good now. Until we next meet again Carlisle. It has been a pleasure." 

Carlisle smiled and bowed back as Laurent turned and James looked behind Carlisle directly at him, he could see the gears turning in his head as he tried to figure out how he knew this person clinging to Edward Cullen. Laurent turned and interrupted his thoughts by calling his name and the fire faded from James's dead eyes as he turned around and walked arm in arm with Victoria.

He thought it was all finally over, he might find his Dad after they leave... but the Cullen's stiffened and he felt the wind blow through his hair poking out from the cap and James stopped mid step. He heard him mutter.

"So that's where you've been..."

Before he could react, James and Victoria had turned and charged at the Cullen's, intent on taking him. James was met with probably his most favorite thing ever. Handsome Emmett holding a baseball bat, took it right to James's neck with the intent to decapitate him. This failed and it just knocked the vampire back into the mist as Victoria had taken the flank and attacked from behind, only to be met with his second favorite thing ever. Jasper hitting a home run with her face and knocked her back into the woods.

Laurent raised his hands as Carlisle glared at him and walked away, clearly showing that he had no interest in killing James, nor fighting the Cullen's. Edward picked up James like back in at his own house and the Cullen's surrounded them as he carried James to the Jeep instantly. Evil James and Victoria charged out of the mist again, together this time and nailed Emmett in the face, knocking him on his ass. Alice grabbed Victoria and slung her to the ground as Esme and Rosalie proceeded to back her up. While Emmett, Jasper, and Carlisle went after Other James. It looked like they might kill them on the spot, before Victoria tossed Alice at Esme and knocked out Rosalie with a fierce punch. James did the same and the two retreated back into the mist and Emmett, Jasper, Rosalie and Esme started to chase after but Carlisle stopped them.

"Let them go. We don't have the time nor the means to kill them. We need to get him back to the house NOW. He doesn't have enough time left."

Carlisle put James into the Jeep as he started to feel sick to his stomach and threw up before anyone else got in, blood stained the ground as Edward looked sick to his stomach as well and soon the Cullen's had piled in and Edward was nestling James's head on his chest and put his cold hand on his head to try and cool him off. The love of his life calmly sang to him in his ear, he couldn't make out the words as the world was spinning and deafening ringing had taken over. He saw the house in the distance soon and right as his eyes made contact, the blackness  crashed over him and the deafening sound of a bell rang in his ears as he passed out.