2

Tiffany and Monica strolled the halls of their highschool like they owned them. The idea wasn't too far fetched. They weren't just liked by the students, the teachers adored them as well. Hell, even the principal had an affinity for the pair. Who wouldn't? Not only were they each smart as a whip, they were beautiful and kind too. The duo was the life of the party wherever they were. Together they were unstoppable.
Tiffany's on again off again boyfriend, Lance, waited for them at the cafeteria entrance. His bottomless blue eyes and dirty blonde hair made him quite the heart throb at River Run Highschool.
"My two favorite ladies." Lance said throwing his arms around their shoulders. "You know, we make the sexiest reverse Oreo ever."
Monica laughed uncomfortably. The joke wasn't offensive but she grew tired of the frequency of which skin color was the focal point of his jokes.
"It was kind of funny the first time you said it four years ago. Now it's just annoying. Let it go." Tiffany said shrugging his arm from her shoulder. Monica did the same. The three of them grabbed their lunch and headed to their table. The only table in the cafeteria that had actual chairs instead of the little stools that were mounted to the tables. Tiffany despised those stools.
Devin, Lance's best friend, smiled at Monica as she sat down. Devin was usually pretty relaxed and reserved. He was a cool guy, but he never said much.
"Hey Monica." Devin said smoothly. Though he mostly kept to himself, he wasn't a dork by any means. Devin had quite the reputation with the ladies. He was a handsome guy. He wore his hair in long neat dread locks and had skin the color of chestnuts. Not to mention he always smelled amazing.
Most girls would melt at the sound of Devin's deep voice saying their name. However, Monica wasn't phased by much and certainly not the attention of Devin Charles. "Hi Devin." She said nonchalantly.
"You look really nice today." Devin has been secretly crushing on Monica since junior year, but he was determined to make his move before their senior winter dance. He already decided she was going to be his date.
"Oh thank you Devin. You're sweet." Monica smiled at him before flipping her hair and turning her attention to Tiffany.
Though she was polite, that's not exactly the reaction he was looking for. He knew it would be hard work to get Monica's attention but he didn't care. So many guys tried and failed. If Devin was the one to succeed, he'd be a legend. He was going where no man has gone before. He was going to make Monica Gwen fall in love with him or die trying.
Monica never paid any mind to the boys at school. She already knew she didn't want any of them. She came to terms with her sexuality the summer before ninth grade.
Her parents sent her down south to stay with her grandmother (may she rest in peace) as she had done previous summers. Her Nana's neighbor had a daughter named Cameron. She was three years older than Monica but despite the small age difference, the two became fast friends.
Cameron was loud and outspoken. She always had different colors in her hair and didn't care much about what others thought. Monica admired that about her. She could tell Cameron was different. Monica saw the way people in town stared when Cameron walked in. She heard the way people whispered when the two of them would enter the church. It didn't matter to Monica though. She liked Cameron. A lot.
They kissed that summer, the night before Monica left to come back home. Sweaty and breathless. Mason jars full of fireflies, or lightning bugs as Cameron so adorably called them, weighing heavy in their hands. They leaned against the barn doors, giggling to themselves. Monica thought Cameron looked beautiful under the darkening sky. A thin veil of sweat glistening against her skin. Monica remembered letting her eyes follow one bead of sweat from Cameron's sharp jaw line down to the top of her chest. That's when it happened. Cameron leaned over and kissed her. Monica tore away from the kiss in utter horror. They weren't supposed to do that.
It was wrong.
It was weird.
It was disgusting and Monica wanted to do it again. So she did. And again. They kissed until their lips were sore. Even then Monica refused to stop until her Nana summoned her inside for the night. After that Monica knew she never wanted to kiss another boy again. There was a certain spark in her that only women could ignite. That woman now just happened to be Mrs Cole.