13

"Where's Dad?" Jackson asked as everyone sat around the dinner table. It was only him, his sister, his mom, and Monica. Lately his dad was home around this time to eat with them.
Gloria shrugged and ate the carrot from her fork. "I don't know."
Tiffany scoffed. "Marriage seems endearing."
"Its a blast. Kids take the fun out of it though." Allen said as he rushed to the table. He got a little held up with work with actual work this time. He made it home as soon as he could.
"Hey!" Jackson whined.
"Not you. Just your sister, champ." He ruffled his son's hair and kissed his daughter's head. "Sorry I'm late, sweetie." He said directed to his wife.
"Mm." Gloria hummed. She didn't care. She was hoping he wouldn't show at all. Maybe she could sneak a few moments alone with Monica but that probably wouldn't happen now.
"This is delicious, Mrs. Cole." Monica said after she swallowed what was in her mouth. Gloria gave her a certain look that only the two of them understood. Gloria had given her clear instructions not to call her that anymore. Monica smirked. She did it just to get under her skin. It was sort of their inside joke.
"Thank you, Monica." Gloria said as she subtly rolled her eyes.
"You're welcome." There was a little mischievous grin on Monica's face and it didn't go unnoticed.
Tiffany pointed her fork at her best friend. "What's up with you lately?"
Monica looked around. "Excuse me?"
"You've been all laughy and obnoxiously happy." Tiffany said before she stabbed her chicken with the fork.
"I've noticed a little pep in your step as well." Allen chuckled. "Who's got you smiling ear to ear like that?"
Gloria started coughing. Her last bite of vegetables seemed to have gone down the wrong pipe.
"Jesus. Are you okay, mom?" Tiffany asked.
"Yes. I'm fine. I'm just going to help myself to more water." Gloria got up and excused herself to the kitchen. Monica watched with concern. Only letting her eyes linger on her ass for a second. It was obvious, at least to her, that Gloria had not put on another pair of panties. That made her smile even harder.
"Back to you." Tiffany said. "Are things going that well with Brooke?"
"Oh. She's a nice young lady. Happy for you two." Allen added.
Monica clenched her jaw and then tried to relax. "Yeah. I guess but mostly I've just been happy." She shrugs. "It's our senior year. We'll be leaving for college soon enough. It's all just very exciting."
"If you say so." Tiffany says. She was excited about college too but mostly the parties and all the cute guys. She loved Lance but she already had it made up in her mind that she was going to break it off with him after they graduated. They had different number one pick schools and the school he wanted to go to was so far away from hers. She had no interest in trying to keep tabs on him from a distance. She barely wanted to do it sometimes now and they didn't even live fifteen minutes away from each other. She told herself she would be okay. She would have Monica and as long as they were together she didn't need anyone else.
Gloria came back to the table after she got herself together. Initially she started choking because she was trying to swallow and ended up laughing at Allen's statement. It was funny to her because she was the one that had Monica smiling like that and it made her happy.
After dinner Allen volunteered to clear the table and load the dishwasher. Gloria found it odd but she didn't question it. She didn't care enough to argue his motivations. Instead she made herself a drink and sat out on the back patio. Tiffany and Monica ran upstairs to her room and Jackson ran through the house playing fighter jets and airplanes as he usually did. Even after being told not to run in the house by both parents, several times. After Allen was finished with the dishes he was headed to bed. Work had been hard and his day was long, but first he wanted to pop in on his wife.
"Hey honey."
Gloria side eyed him. "Hello." His presence had started to annoy her just enough for it to be noticeable.
"Dinner was great."
"I'm glad you enjoyed it." She said mirthlessly.
"Are you okay? Are we okay?" He asked.
"Why do you keep asking me that?" Gloria wondered aloud.
He closed the sliding door behind him and sat on the patio chair beside her. He didn't say anything for a while. Instead he looked up at the night sky just as his wife was doing. "It just feels weird, Glo."
It had been a while since he called her that. Gloria turned her head from staring into space and looked at Allen for the first time since he came outside. She took a nice long look at him. She hadn't done that in a while. His eyes were tired. The wrinkles on his forehead were deepened. He was still as handsome as ever but she didn't feel what she used to feel when she looked at her husband. The man she's known for so long. "Weird?" She asked.
"You. Me. The kids. I feel so disconnected from you all." He sighed.
"I wonder why."
He nodded. "I want to come clean to you. I really do."
Gloria took a big long gulp from her glass and then poured herself a little more. She didn't see her night playing out the way it was but this is where they were now. "Go ahead then."
"I... I've cheated on you." Allen said and hung his head in shame. "I feel shitty about it. I really do. I've cheated myself too. I've missed so much of the kid's life by hiding at work and doing whatever else when I've should've been here. With you. With them."
This is it. These are the words Gloria has been dying to hear.
"I know there's nothing I can say Gloria to take back all the wasted time and arguments. The way I probably made you feel but I am sorry and I really want you to believe me."
Gloria took another sip from her glass. This is exactly what she's been waiting to hear. So why didn't it move her even the slightest? "With who?"
"I'm sorry?" Allen asked.
"Who did you cheat on me with? That little tramp from your office?"
"Her name is Casey." Allen informed her.
"Does it look like I care, Allen? Seriously?" Gloria snapped. It was bad enough her suspicions were confirmed. She didn't care what her name was to be completely honest.
"You're right. I'm sorry." Allen apologized immediately. He knew that was a bonehead mistake. If this was happening the other way around her wouldn't give a damn what the other guy's name was. He'd actually be offended if she took the time to correct him.
Gloria put her glass down and wrapped herself in the cardigan she was wearing. She remained silent. She wasn't sure what else to say. What was she supposed to say? Okay? Thank you?
After a few painfully slow minutes passed by Allen cleared his throat. "I- I can have some divorce papers drawn up by the weekend. I just..."
Gloria heard the strangest noise. When she looked up she saw Allen crying. Something she hadn't seen since Tiffany was born. Of course he was over joyed when their son made his entrance but even then he didn't cry. Tiffany was his first born. His little girl. He broke down as soon as the nurse put her in his arms.
"Why are you crying?" Gloria asked. "I thought you'd be happy to be out of this marriage."
He shook his head. "No. Never. I love you Gloria. I just... I lost my way."
"Lost. Your. Way." Gloria blinked and nodded.
"I'll do anything but I want to fix this. I want us to work." Allen pleaded. "Therapy. Couples counseling. Church. Anything."
Gloria mulled it over. She wasn't sure if she wanted it to work anymore. Of course at one time that's all she wanted but all of this seemed like too little, too late. If they divorced she could be free of the guilt. Free of him. But it was a selfish decision. What about their family and the life they built together. The kids. Jackson would be devastated. His routine would be shot to pieces. Tiffany loved her dad but she was a mama's girl deep in her heart. She'd find a way to blame Allen. To hate him. Gloria didn't want that. She didn't want that for any of them.
"Gloria?" Allen pulled her from her thoughts. The waiting was making him anxious.
"We can try, Allen, but I need something from you." She said.
"Okay. Anything. Name it. It's done." He didn't want to lose his family. Outside of work that's the only thing he had. The only thing he could count on.
"I need space. Time. Privacy. We can fix this but I'll be making the rule from now on. Is that understood?" She asked.
He nodded enthusiastically.
"If I say no. That means no. If I want you home by five make it happen."
"Okay." Allen said without hesitating.
Gloria narrowed her eyes at him. Now she was just seeing how far she could push him before he broke. It was wicked of her but after all the bullshit he put her through, she deserved a little fun at his expense she thought. "Fire Casey."
"Huh?"
Gloria sat up and looked him right in the eyes. "Fire. Casey."
Allen clenched his jaw and adverted his eyes from hers. "Fine. Okay. I will. Can I just give her a while. She has a kid."
"Is it yours?" Gloria asked mirthlessly.
"No!" Allen said quickly.
"Surprising. I'll give you a month, but I want her gone."
"I can work with that."
Gloria nodded. "Okay."
"Well... I'm going to bed. Are you going to join me?" He asked as he stood up.
"No." Gloria grabbed her glass of wine and leaned back in her chair. "And why don't you make yourself comfortable in the guest room until you get yourself checked for fleas. Goodnight."
"Goodnight, Gloria." Allen mumbled.
Gloria sighed and looked up at the sky again. She could hear Monica's laughter wafting from Tiffany's bedroom. She closed her eyes and let the soothing sound lull her into a light sleep.