chapter 4

**Backstory**

I walked home after school that day, and I took the shortcut, I know I shouldn't after what happened but I didn't care anymore. All my parents do now is yell at me and tell me I'm worthless. So I took the shortcut. When I got home my parents weren't fighting they were agreeing I saw them laughing through the window. I walked in with a smile on my face, but when they saw me their mood changed. They told me to go up stairs and pack a bag so I did. When I came down I didn't see any bags for them.

"Where are your bags?" I asked

"They're in the car already, let's go we don't want to be late." My dad replied

We all got in the car and my dad started driving, we suddenly stopped and my mom got out of the car got me out of the car and whispered in my ear "we are leaving you here, we don't love you anymore, you just remind us of you're brother and I can't see you face without wanting to puke." I started to cry.

"Mom you can't leave me here I love you, don't leave me. Please don't leave me." I was clutching her leg not letting go. That's the first and only time my mother hit me.

"I can leave you here, you see that sign that means this is a safe Haven and I can leave you here, good luck having a life when no one is going to love you."

**End of backstory**

**EMILY'S POV**

After telling Derek I didn't talk about foster care we didn't really talk. He just sat at the kitchen table on his phone and I was reading a book that was on the coffee table in the living room.

"What are you going to want for dinner" Derek finally broke the silence.

"I don't really feel like eating anything, but help yourself to whatever." I replied back to him. I continued to read my book when I felt a presence behind me. "Do you need something Derek?" I questioned feeling his breath on the back of my neck.

"Yes, Emily I do need something, and that something is for you to eat." He was staring directly into my eyes.

"I hear you Derek, and I will eat later, but I'm not in the mood for anything." I looked back down and continued to read my book. I could still feel Derek behind me and then suddenly I was moving. "What are you doing Derek?"

"I'm taking you out for dinner, you need to eat so you can take you meds." He was really starting to get on my nerves, but I couldn't help but think that it was nice to have someone taking care of me. I liked the feeling and I almost forgot what it felt like.

"Derek?" I questioned "Yes Emily?" He replied back in the same tone. "thank you for taking care of me. I almost forgot what it felt like."

**DEREKS POV**

I wondered what Emily meant when she said that she almost forgot what it was like for someone to take care of her. I didn't think she was going to talk about it so I didn't press, I'm hoping she'll open up to me when she is ready. I was also really hoping that she wouldn't remember what I told her the day she got hit by that car.

**Emily's POV**

While we were driving we passed my old orphanage and all I could do was cringe. All that place did was remind me of how much I was unwanted and unloved. I hated passing it everyday. I looked down and sighed louder than I wanted to.

"Emily, are you okay?" Derek asked.

"I'm fine, I'm always fine." I face him a small smile and continued to look down. I just wanted to go home and go to sleep.

****************************************

A little while later we got to this Cafe, Derek parked and got out of the truck. As sooon as he opened the door the smell of food came rushing in. And at that moment my stomach growled the loudest it ever has. I looked over at him to see him holding back a laugh.