chapter 5

**DEREK'S POV**

it's been a couple of days since Emily said that I would leave her like everyone else. And I don't know how to prove to her that isn't true. I want her to know that I think she's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. The moment she walked into my class I knew I wanted to get to know her on a more personal level, but how do I get her to believe me. I heard Emily call my name she still needs a little help getting out of bed. I got up off the pull out couch bed I was on and headed into her room.

"You ready to start the day?" I asked in the most positive tone I could muster.

"I guess so..." She said sheepishly.

"Emily, have you thought about what I said to you anymore?" I asked scared of the answer.

"I have." She said to the point, but she didn't say anything else about it.

"Well are you going to keep me hanging or are you going to tell me what your decision is." I was scared of her answer I didn't want her to say no.

"Derek you are the sweetest guy, and you've helped me so much these past couple of days, but I don't want to ruin this friendship we are making." I was heartbroken I didn't want this I really thought she was going to say yes.

"Emily listen I know every instinct in your body is telling you to run, run as far away from this as you can. And you could listen to those instincts, or you can jump. Jump into the unknown with me. And we can figure this out what we are feeling together. So please please please let's try this." I needed to convince her that WE were a good idea.

"Derek you are just going to leave me, lik-"

"Stop right there Emily, I am NOT going to leave you. I would never leave you. I know you think I could do so much better than you. But to me there is no one better then you." I stood up and knelt down in front of her. "You are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. I love how quirky you are. And how you bite your lip when you're nervous. And I especially like when you blush like you are now." I took my hand and put it under her chin and lifted her head up so she would look me in the eyes. She had these blue grey eyes and they were to die for I could stare into them all day if she'd let me. She turned her head and she looked down once again. My heart started to beat at 100 miles per hour. Did this mean she was going to say no again?

"I'm just scared, scared of what will happen if I say yes."

** Emily's POV**

I started to roll away two more days and I would be able to walk with the brace I was getting. I decided I was going to go check the mail since it was about the only thing I could do by myself while I was in this chair. I turned the key pulled out the mail and I saw my test results, this was it did I pass or did I fail. I got back up to my apartment and set the rest of the mail down on the table. I couldn't open it I was to scared. My whole plan was messed up since I got hit by that car anyways and I didn't have that much money saved up anymore after paying off most of the medical bill from the hospital. If I failed it wouldn't matter, but it did to me. I was still staring when Derek came in the room.

"Emily I need you to give me a straight answer yes or no." He huffed. I knew I had to tell him my answer I just wish I knew what was going to happen.

"I can't think about that right now Derek, I still need some time." I couldn't look up from my hands. They were still holding my results.

"I can't wait Emily, I know what I want."

"Derek, just give me a second! Not everything is about what going on with you." I yelled as I started to open my results. I pulled out the letter and I couldn't believe what I saw, I passed my test! I'm a paramedic! I mean I can't really work as one right now but I'm going to be what I wanted to be since I was 10 yrs old! Something was finally looking up for me! I turned around and looked up at Derek.

"I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to yell." I looked away for a second. "It's just that I got my test results and I opened them, and I didn't pass..." I looked back at him. I wanted him to buy it.

"Oh, Emily I'm so sorry. I'll help you study" he got down to my level by kneeling down as he placed a hand on my knee. "You will pass the next time." I couldn't help it and started to laugh a little.

"I'm joking, I passed!" I grabbed his hand and pulled him in for a hug. "I did it and it's all thanks to you! You were an awesome teacher!" I couldn't stop smiling I was so happy that something finally went my way.

"I'm happy for you." He said as he pulled away from me.

"What's wrong Derek?"

"I want to talk about us. Can we do that for one second?" His voice was starting to rise. "I just want to be with you Emily and all you can give me is I need more time and I don't know. Well I'm tired of it I need to know, yes or no?" He quieted down and sat on the chair next to me.

"I know you want an answer, I want to give you one, but I don't know. I told you I'm scared of what could happen. What if I lose you? I've let you know more about my life then most of the people in my life now. And you only started talking to me a couple of days ago." I looked down and grabbed his hand. "I know you want a straight answer and I want to give you one, but for now can we just be friends until I can take care of myself, please?" I put my hand on his face and he leaned into it.

"So, you're not saying no?"

"No, I'm saying let me get better. Let me get back to where I was. Then maybe we can try things. If that's okay with you?" I was rubbing my thumb on his cheek and I was at peace.