5. Guidance From a Demon

"Alice Blackburn, what you just did..." Peter stopped and shook his head. "It was irresponsible, careless, and one of the most heroic deeds I've ever seen." He pulled me into a quick hug.

Beyond shocked, I didn't respond. Just stood there. As trainees physical contact wasn't a regular occurrence, especially between trainers and their students.

"Let's go find the others. They can't be far," he said, releasing me

I nodded, a numb euphoria coursing through my veins. I wasn't ready to be done.

We exited the club and blended with the crowd. Swirling red and blue lights filled the sky. Police cars, a fire truck, and an ambulance had arrived on the scene. Crews helped those who'd been wounded while the police went inside.

"Where are they?" I asked Peter, searching the crowd for the rest of our group.

"I'm guessing they went back to our meet up spot. Let's go."

Before we'd gone two feet, the air changed. Overhead it was like spilled ink over white paper and a thick darkness descended. It roared past the Spanish styled buildings, blocking out the stars and the three-quarter moon.

"What's happening?" I'd put my knife back in my boot but I itched to have it in my hand once again.

"It's the demon. He's called the menials who serve him. The hunt is on."

Peter was right. The impenetrable darkness wasn't just night, but hordes of rat-like menial demons. With them they brought the strong stench of sulfur and decaying flesh.

"And me without my sword," I said sarcastically.

Peter chuckled. "You're such a warrior." He searched our surroundings. "We need some cover."

"Can the humans see the menials?" I asked hurrying after Peter past the people. They didn't seem afraid but milled around like the menials weren't there.

"They can probably feel their presence, but no, not unless the demons want them to. Come on." Peter took off running. "We need to get away from everyone," he shouted as he ran directly into the menials.

I followed, grabbing the knife from my boot as a dozen rats swooped in front of me. I gutted one and punched another as I tried car doors along the street. Finally I found an old beater and dove in, slamming a demon in the door when it shut.

The rats were everywhere, so thick I couldn't see anything else, not even Peter. Where are you? I hoped he was okay.

The passenger side door opened and a guy got in.

"What the— Get out," I shouted. He'd scared me and I'd nearly stabbed him in the throat.

He pushed my hand away, careful to avoid the pointy end of the knife. "You realize they can get into the car if they want. You aren't safe in here." As he spoke one of the menials slammed against the windshield. Shattered glass went everywhere and bit into my face, neck, and arms.

I ignored them as the guy grabbed the little demon by the neck with both hands and twisted until there was a pop. It immediately turned to dark ash. "One down, a million to go." He smirked and reached through the glass, grabbing another.

The move surprised me. He surprised me. Who the crap was he? It was obvious he knew about the demons and also had abilities. Not to mention he'd been well trained, but he didn't look like a Dark Moth.

With one demon dead, a dozen more started through. I cut at them and was quickly covered in demon goo.

"Take my hand," the guy said, holding it out.

"No way." I didn't know the guy. I preferred to take my chances with the rats.

"Okay, but I'm out." He opened the door and disappeared into the sea of demons, fighting and punching as he went.

In moments, it became apparent he was wise to leave. The menials had me pinned against the seat and were biting and clawing at my skin. "Get off of me." I stabbed one in the neck and wrung another's. Demon ash covered me and combined with the blood from the places where I'd been bitten.

I growled as one of them pulled my hair and another bit my cheek. My knife was snatched from my hand and a demon sank its putrid teeth into my flesh. "That's it." In the past I could count on one hand the number of times I used my demon powers. In truth, they were scary and I preferred to use my weapons. But with a dozen demons pinning me inside the car, I had no choice. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath, feeling for the strength. It raced along my veins, changing the color of my blood to black as it swelled and burst out from every one of my pores.

Continuing to focus, I kept my eyes closed as the menials squealed in pain. Ash soaked me like rain in a thunderstorm. When I opened my eyes, I was surprised to see a cobalt light emanating off my skin and pushing outward. Every demon that came in contact with it was instantly incinerated.

Though I'd learned about the power each Dark Moth possessed in school, seeing it was completely different. I felt formidable and unstoppable and if I were honest, a little out of control. But I wasn't going to question it, not right them. Blood dripped from my cheek and onto my hand as I pushed the door open and climbed out.

Humans were wandering around, still dazed from what'd happened in the club. One of the medical professionals came over and asked if I needed help. The shield that surrounded me and kept the demons at bay didn't faze him or maybe he couldn't see it because he walked right through it.

"I'm fine," I said and took off, heading in the direction of the parking garage.