8. Social Skills and Stitches

"Who is this?" Wrythe asked, a bit of amusement in his voice.

"We found him in the parking garage near the elevator," one of the warriors said.

Wrythe checked the backs of the guy's hands. "He has no marks. Why would you think to bring him down here?"

"He had this blade on him, not to mention all of the demon blood." The other warrior produced a sword that had the marks of the Dark Moth on them.

I felt compelled to add the information I had as well. "He was also able to see the demons. And he told me they would be able to get through the car... Maybe he's a regular Moth who knows how to fight?"

Wrythe smiled. "I believe you might be right." He went back over to the couch. "Boys, take him to Heathcliff."

As they carried him out the door, Wrythe said, "Alice, I'm making this boy your responsibility. Once he's healed, find out his story, discover what you can about him and then bring me the answers. Understand?"

I shivered internally, even though I didn't know why. But I wanted to decline. Instead, I reacted like a good little soldier. "Yes, your highness."

"Good girl now get going. Your mission starts now. Don't leave his side until I instruct otherwise." He went to the door and held it open, waiting for me to leave.

"Very well." I followed after the warriors and held open the double doors to the hospital wing so they could carry the wounded man inside.

"Heathcliff!" one of the warriors shouted. "We have another wounded."

The physician was sitting at his desk looking into a microscope. At his name, he jumped with surprise and let out a very unmanly yelp. "Isaac. Neeko." He brushed his graying hair out of his face. "Who have you brought me?"

"We think he's a regular Moth, but he's wounded and unconscious."

"Well, get him on the table so I can have a look."

They got him up, laying him on his back.

The room was clean and sterile. Everything in its place. The walls, ceiling, and floor were stark white. Lights blazed so bright it looked like daytime. Rows of glass cupboards lined the wall on the left. I saw a heart, an ear, and the head of an unknown creature before I looked away. The back wall held two doors and in between them was Heathcliff's workstation in the shape of a T, complete with three computer monitors, the microscope and other machines I wasn't sure about. On the wall above the workstation were four rows of bookshelves filled with old books behind glass doors. To the right was a sink, more cupboards, another table, and some machines. In the center of the room was a stainless steel table on wheels. Below it was a drain.

The room terrified me.

"Does he have a name?" Heathcliff asked, his gaze landing on me.

"I don't know," I said.

"Fine." Heathcliff took a pair of shears from one of his drawers. "Everyone can go. I have work to do." He shooed the warriors from the room. "You too, Alice."

"Wrythe ordered me to remain by his side," I said, swallowing down the lump in my throat.

Heathcliff raised his thick, graying eyebrows. "Very well then. You can be my assistant." He handed me the scissors. "Cut the boy's shirt at the center and straight up." He went to jar and removed some gauze. "Hurry. I need to assess his injuries and see what kind of damage is under there."

I went over to the table. The guy's black shirt was soaked in demon blood as well as some of his own and I cut into it. He looked like a Moth with deep black hair, tanned skin, tall and muscled. His eyes were closed, but I had a feeling when they were open, they'd be gray too. The same as everyone else's.