18. Slaying of the Sloth

We sat at a small, round table, the top covered in glazed Aztec tiles. Peter, Wrythe, and I hadn't made it far from the compound before the men felt the need to stop for food. They claimed to be starving, which was verified by the way they inhaled the chips and salsa the waitress brought a few moments ago. I felt nauseous. The smells wafting from the kitchen made it worse.

But there was nothing to do except wait.

I squirmed in my seat impatiently as guilt ate away at my conscience. While they sat and snacked, time slipped away, marching me that much closer to being the reason one of the trainees would die. "Maybe we should go." I leaned forward and spoke in a soft voice. I doubted either of them heard, but my voice quivered.

Both men stopped shoveling chips and salsa into their faces. Wrythe looked at me earnestly before speaking. "We are in the right place, Alice. Like I said, anywhere works. They'll be coming for you."

"Yes, you said that, but it's been an hour and we still haven't seen one."

"Patience, Alice. It won't be long." Peter picked up a chip and held it out for me to take. "Why don't you have one? They're delicious."

I scrunched my lips in distain. "Pass."

"You need to keep up your strength. When we run into a demon, you'll need it." Wrythe gave me a stern look. One I'd normally be intimidated by.

I gave him a tiny smile. "I know."

"And we're here for you," he continued, patting my hand. Warmth from his skin radiated into me, giving me strength. He seemed different outside of the compound. Less intimidating. "Those demons don't stand a chance. We won't let another trainee die because of them." His gaze softened.

"Thank you." I appreciated the sentiment. And I was grateful he and Peter had my back. They were both great warriors. It was strange. As I watched him eat and chat with Peter about mundane things, it occurred to me that he was so much more than just a king. He was a man with needs, wants, and freaking feelings of his own. The idea was eye opening. I wondered if he had a wife and children. Those thoughts sent my mind whirling and I wondered what was possible for me. I'd never considered anything past killing my sire. There hadn't been time to think beyond that. But I considered it now. What did becoming a warrior truly mean? Could I have love? Was motherhood a possibility for me? The idea sent excited nervousness up and down my spine. Followed by paralyzing anxiety. I needed to stop. I needed to focus.

Movement in the parking lot outside caught my attention. I looked more closely and realized Kade was out there standing beside a gorgeous car. But that wasn't what held my attention. It was the person he spoke to. The Devil himself.

"What the crazy, crazy hell?" I darted for the door even though I had no idea what I would do. That damned devil would die. And if I killed him, then my fellow trainees would surely be safe. The Devil vanished before I reached them. "Kade," I shouted running toward him. "What the hell are you doing here? Why were you talking to," I paused and looked around, then continued softly, "the Devil?"

Kade was still standing beside his car and his face twisted into a surprised smile at the sight of me. "Alice. You're just the person I was looking for."

I noticed the way his green eyes lit up with genuine happiness, but I wasn't deterred from my questioning. "Do you know who that was you were with?"

He nodded solemnly. "Yes. Of course. Listen Alice, we need to talk."

Betrayal and anger furrowed out of me. Was he a demon? "You're damn right we do. I want to know what is going on." I crossed my arms, furious and confused.