9. Parole Officer

For the next thirty minutes, Heathcliff sewed up Kade's large wound as well as cleaned out and stitched the smaller ones. I was impressed with how still and quiet Kade was. I felt his jaw clench and unclench several times, but he didn't let out another sound.

Finally, Doc straightened. He rolled his shoulders, cracking his back. "Done."

The tension in Kade slowly relaxed. I removed my elbows and arms from him.

He rubbed them gingerly. "You're strong."

"Sorry," I muttered, but didn't really mean it.

Kade could tell. "Uh-huh."

With the wounds cleaned, they were already healing as were my fingers.

"I'm going to keep you in the sick bay overnight." Heathcliff helped Kade sit up as he spoke. "I'll need to check the wound tomorrow, but you should be pretty close to back to normal in a couple of days."

Kade stood, but kept himself bent over. I had a feeling it had to do with the fifty or so stitches in his abdomen.

Heathcliff took one of Kade's arms and I took the other. We slowly walked him to one of the small rooms at the back of Doc's office. The doctor pushed a button and the door slid open. There were two twin-sized beds with a small dresser near the footboard of each. Opposite the entrance was a tiny bathroom. "There are clothes in the dressers. Help Kade get cleaned up."

"What, we're going to be roomies?" Kade glanced down at me.

I literally felt my heart stop. "I guess so."

"Oh, I get it. You're my PO."

"PO?" I asked, confused. I had no idea what it could mean.

"Parole Officer," he said, carefully sitting on the edge of the bed. "You're going to keep me out of trouble, make sure I mind my manners, that sort of thing."

I chuckled lamely. "Something like that unless you just want to tell me everything there is to know about you now." I crossed my arms, hoping he would.

"Cool," he said

"I supposed a shower is out of the question?" I asked, eyeing his disgusting clothes and working to ignore the scent.

"You are more than welcome to give me a sponge bath." He raised his eyes, hopeful.

I would've smacked him; except he was hurt everywhere so I just rolled my eyes. "Not happening.

"Yeah, but he's going to need your help." Heathcliff opened the door and started laughing. "Good luck with that."

I nearly died of embarrassment. "Thanks."

As Doc was about to leave, I said, "Can I borrow those shears I used to cut open his shirt?"

"Sure thing." Heathcliff left a moment and then came back. "Do I want to know what you're going to do with these?"

I took the scissors. "Yeah, I'm going to cut off his clothes."

"Good plan," he said and left, letting the door slide closed.

"Ohhhhhh, you're putting the moves on me now?" Kade smiled, showing off his sensual mouth.

I was mesmerized by his lips. They seemed to call to me, which totally ticked me off. "No, but your clothes do need to be incinerated."

He glanced down. "Do what you must."

"Whatever," I snorted, coming at him with the scissors.

He held up his hands and then winced. "Ouch."

I set down the scissors and helped him remove the shirt. It came off easily since it was already cut in half. Then I threw it in the corner, knowing what I had to do next. "Now your pants."

"Go ahead." He smirked and I was mortified.

"Thanks." I knelt in front of him and grabbed the bottom edge of one leg. "Hold still," I said, quickly glancing at his face. I'd removed my gloves after helping Heathcliff, but now wished I'd kept them on. Carefully, I cut straight up the middle, trying to avoid getting dirty. When I reached the waist, I paused and removed his belt before cutting through. "Now the other one."

"Try to go easy on me," he said.

I snorted. "Don't you wish?" Nervously, I cut the other side all the way up, careful to avoid his boxers. Kade was all muscles and warmth and strength. Amongst all the blood and gore still on him was a light scent of cinnamon. His pants fell in pieces to the floor.

I stood there unable to figure out what to do next.

"Take a picture, it lasts longer," he said, shocking me into a standing position.

"Shut—" I began but stopped. His eyes seemed to glow in the dim light of the room. "Up."

He leaned down and kissed me lightly on the mouth. The move wasn't anything big or grand, but his lips against mine sent a rush of emotions through me and I would swear there was a spark. It was as though I'd been in darkness and suddenly the lights within me flickered on. I gasped and fell back.

There was shock on Kade's face for a moment before he glanced away. "I didn't mean to scare you." He held out his hand. I ignored it. "Can you assist me into the bathroom? I want to get cleaned up."

"You can manage just fine on your own." I went over to the other bed and sat, watching him struggle. When he was inside the bathroom, I joined him, putting down the toilet seat. "Sit." While he did, I grabbed a washcloth and ran it under hot water. "Let me get your back."

"Go easy on me, I'm not at one hundred percent."

I ignored him and quickly scrubbed off as much of the blood and dirt as I could see.

"Don't forget to get behind my ears," he joked.

Wounded or not, he deserved it when I punched him. He winced and chuckled as I threw the washcloth at him.

"Finish cleaning up yourself," I said and walked out.