19. Lasagna Envy

I stepped out of the shower and dried off. It felt good to get the Sloth Demon ash off me. My room felt empty without Pam and the others. I hoped they were okay. It wasn't like I talked to them much or anything, but the other girls talked to each other and I missed the noise. But it was more than that. I missed them too.

After braiding my hair and dressing in black camo pants, black boots, and a matching tank, I went to the hospital wing to speak with Heathcliff, but Doc wasn't there. The hospital was as empty as the rest of the compound. Fighting down a lump of depression, I headed to the cafeteria. I still wasn't hungry, but it was probably best that I get something in my belly.

I pushed open the swinging doors. The smell of oregano and nutmeg met my nose and my mouth watered. Cook had made lasagna. I loved lasagna. My footsteps quickened. Until I realized the cafeteria was empty and I was completely alone. All was quiet expect for the occasional banging of pans in the kitchen. There wasn't a single warrior or teacher or trainee in sight. That was my fault. Although since the Sloth demon was killed, the trainee, Steven should've been returned.

I remembered Wrythe had said the compound was protected by spells and I wondered how the Devil got them all out in the first place, but maybe he was immune. I needed to ask Wythe.

I sighed, my excitement over the prospect of eating lasagna diminishing. There was still so much to do. Five more to kill.

Before I could leave, Cook came out with a plate filled with extra wide steaming noodles swimming in cheese and red sauce, a side of bread, and asparagus spears as well as a glass of water. "Eat. It's your favorite," she said.

I tried to smile; grateful the woman was so intuitive. "Thanks, Cook." Her real name was Frances, but everyone called her Cook. She had that look about her—slightly round through the middle, short graying hair, and a stark white apron with black ruffles along the hem. Her marks were the color of gluttony, but they were nearly faded to nothing.

She patted me on the head. "Finish it and you'll get a slice of my chocolate mousse cake.

I nodded, sitting at the nearest table and going in for a bite. Once she was satisfied I intended to eat, she went back into the kitchen.

I took another bite, chewing slowly. Cook's chocolate mousse cake was the best thing ever but it was highly unlikely I'd finish all the food in front of me.

"Hey, Alice. I hoped I'd find you here." Kade sat in the chair across the table from me.

"Hi." I couldn't help but study him. He'd showered too and the edges of his hair were still wet. It also seemed as though the cinnamon scent that radiated off him was stronger than usual.

"That looks good." He eyed my food.

"It is, but I'm not sharing." The guy could get his own damn food.

He didn't move. Just watched me eat, his green eyes never leaving my face. "Go ahead and ask," he said.

I set down my fork. "What?"

"About the Devil. You wanted to know why he was with me."

"Yes." I still wanted to know.

"Then ask your question."

I watched his lips move, wishing I wasn't so in tune with everything about him. "Are you a demon?"

"Absolutely not." He blew out his breath, running a hand through his wet hair. "Not even close." He shuddered.

"Then why were you with him?" I pushed my food aside and leaned toward him, like a moth to a flame, I thought morbidly.

"He knows who you are and what you're supposed to accomplish. I wanted to make sure he knew I was aware of that," Kade said.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. "Do you know who my sire is?"

"I do, yes," he said and winked.

"Then tell me." Frustration oozed out of me.

He glanced down at my plate of food. "Do you mind if I have a bite?"

"Sure, after you tell me who my freaking sire is." It was obvious he was procrastinating. Who is this guy?

Kade looked away. "It isn't my place to tell," he said. "I would be breaking all kinds of laws if I did."

"Whose laws? What do you mean?" My frustration built. "I don't know about you, but I'm still going through the Trial of Three. And the first one requires I kill all of the Dark Moth trainee demon sires. And if I don't kill them, the trainees die." I slammed my fist down. "So I'm not in the mood for anything but answers. If you know who my sire is, tell me." Fury burned through my body. I needed answers, a place to start.

He studied me intently and I guessed he was having an internal debate.

"Please." I touched his hand, immediately feeling that strange shock I'd felt when he kissed me. It was obvious he felt it too.

He let out a heavy breath. "All right. I'll tell you what I know. But not now. First, there's something I need to do. Meet me in my room tonight. Okay?" He took my fork and stabbed a giant piece of lasagna before shoving it into his mouth. "Mmmmm. Damn, that's good. Frances knows how to cook." He smiled. "Ten o-clock."

"Where are you staying?" I snuck a look at his breathtaking eyes.

"Guest bedroom at the end of the boys' dorms. Knock three times, like this." He showed me on the table.

"So stealthy." I couldn't help the sarcasm that bit into my words.

He came around the table and bent so his face became parallel with mine. At his sudden closeness, my heart beat faster. He smelled good enough to eat. "Ten o'clock." His breath tickled my lips and I smelled the lasagna on him.

I had an overwhelming urge to kiss him. I swallowed. "I'll be there."

"Good." He brushed his thumb against my bottom lip. "See you soon, Alice."

When he was gone, I rolled back my shoulders, trying to ease the tension. The man made me forget everything and that wasn't good. I got up from the table and went to my room where I promptly lay down and fell asleep.

 I got up from the table and went to my room where I promptly lay down and fell asleep