20. Party of Two

At exactly ten o'clock, I arrived in front of Kade's door. It was closed and I reached out to knock but stopped. Kade had said he would answer my questions. That meant I would finally find out which demon was my sire. It seemed almost unreal. After nearly eighteen years, I would know why the marks on my hands hadn't changed color, why my eyes were blue instead of gray, and why I was able to kill a greater demon without having killed my sire first. Finally, I would understand.

Those thoughts filled me with anticipation and dread as well. I'd had nightmares about it while I slept earlier, not that it mattered. But I did worry that I might not want to hear what Kade had to say.

The door whipped open. "Alice, you going to stand out here all night, or did you want to come in?"

My eyes got wide. Kade had on gray camo pants, but no shirt. My eyes couldn't help but linger on his muscled arms and shoulders. His chest was hairless, except a dark line that started at his belly button and disappeared down below the waist of his pants. "Okay." I stepped inside and moved so he could close the door, clutching my hands together.

The room was sparse, nothing more than a bed, a nightstand, and a chest of drawers the same as my room.

Kade went over to the bed and sat, then patted a spot next to him. "Come here."

I crossed my arms over my chest, nervous. "I think I'll stay right where I am, thanks."

"Why?" He licked his lips. "Afraid I'll bite?"

My heart rate spiked. I was shaky, a bundle of nerves. "Try it and it'll be the last thing you ever do."

Kade laughed. "Sit down. Let's talk. I won't do anything bite-related until you have your answers."

I would've believed him had he put on a shirt, but I didn't say anything. I didn't want him to know the effect he had on me. I didn't want to seem weak. I was the Queen of Hearts, after all. "Good." I sat, staying as far from him as possible.

My seat choice caused him to laugh harder, but only for a moment. His face became serious. "I'm ready to tell you whatever you wish to know. Ask me your questions."

I pushed my arms farther around myself. Looked down at my pants. Swallowed. "Which demon is my sire?" I waited for the answer, unable to look at him. But when he still hadn't responded after several long seconds, I peeked.

A ripple of movement rushed over his skin, like an electrical current, glowing in the dim light. "Your sire is the Devil himself." As he spoke his eyes glowed bright green.

"That's impossible. He isn't one of the seven deadly sins." Before I realized it, I was off the bed and my back was pressed against the door. "You're lying," I whispered, my voice pleading. It couldn't be true because if I was the devil's daughter, then what kind of monster did that make me?

His expression turned sad. "I'm afraid not, Alice."

Desperation surged through me, sucking away all my strength. "I was taught about demons and why they do what they do. Never once has a Moth or Dark Moth ever been sired by the Devil. Not once in all the millennia." I slid to the floor. Leaned my head back and closed my eyes. And I knew he spoke the truth. It was the only thing that made sense. "So why me? Why now?"

"It's simple, Alice. Even the vilest of creatures have a desire to leave behind a legacy."

A burst of bitter laughter escaped my throat. "But he's going to kill me anyway. So why bother?"

"In the animal world lions, bears, even dogs are known to kill their young. In nearly every case it's because the child was defective in some way, either sick or deformed. The Devil will try to kill you, but I can promise you there is a part of him that wants you to live, to prove yourself to him."