Better Place Part One

The first thing I noticed was the blinding light suddenly turning on. I groaned and threw the blanket over my head, hoping to block the light. I could lightly hear Freddie complain, but I was still half-asleep to put much thought to him.

"Come on, Boy's time to get up, breakfast is ready," Rosa said, smiling at least I assumed she was. It is one of the many things I love about her.

I groan again before sitting up and rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. Rosa snorted as she saw my massive bedhead. "He finally wakes," Rosa joked.

I glanced at Rosa, who was still in her pajamas, and she was smiling. "Will be down in a second, Rosa," Freddie explained.

"Alright, hurry and get dressed, then come down for breakfast," Rosa instructed before leaving the room. Freddie gave her a nod and a smile. I jumped down from the top bunk and got dressed. Once dressed, I pulled my phone off the charger, noticing I had a new text message. I didn't recognize the number and wondered who would be texting me this early in the morning.

When I opened my phone and read the message, I was shocked by who they were from.

"Hey, Billy, it's Mom. I know you probably don't want to talk to me, but can you meet me at the diner on the corner of 37th after school. I'll be there at three."

Why was she trying to talk to me almost two months later? Was now a good time for her?

I didn't know how to feel, and I wasn't sure what to do.

Sure, I'm pissed at my Mom; she shouldn't have abandoned me thinking I'd be better off because honestly, I wasn't. Ten years of "Good people" was a lie. Almost every foster home I went through treated me like trash, which was why I only spent a few months at most with these so-called nice people. And of course, to look for my Mom, but as we all know, it was all a lie, and she didn't want me. I sometimes think she never did, but maybe she did now, after all. It wouldn't hurt to at least hear her out. Right?

I'm going to see her after school. I'll need to figure out some excuse to walk home without Freddie. I don't want everyone to know about this in case it's just a one-time thing. I was shaken out of my thoughts when I heard my name.

"Earth to Billy. You still there?" Freddie asked, concerned.

I looked up at him, "What?"

"You okay?" Freddie asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said quietly, drawing a suspicious look from Freddie.

"Good because we need to hurry down, or Pedro will eat all the bacon," Freddie urged, making me smile.

***Shazam!***

After Breakfast, Victor drove us to school, where I attempted to focus in class, but since I was going to see my Mom after school, focusing was difficult. Still, I somehow made it through the day. Finally, Freddie and I were walking out to the front of the school to meet with everyone else when I decided now was as good of a time as any to give my excuse as to why I won't be walking home.

"Tell everyone I'll meet you home later. I have to go see Bowie for something," I explained as I started walking away.

"Wait why?" Freddie asked, puzzled.

"He texted me this morning," I lied.

"Okay I guess I'll see you home then?" Freddie said, sounding disappointed. I felt terrible about this, but I don't want anyone to know about my Mom and me if nothing comes of it. I don't want them to look at me in sympathy any more than they already do.

"Yeah sure," I answered before heading the other way

The diner we were supposed to meet at was only a few blocks away from Faucett Central, so it took me practically no time at all to get there. I stood out front and checked the time. "3:00"

The time she said she'd be here. I was nervous and scared of what she would say and what would happen. The last time I saw her, she broke my heart and told me the truth. She didn't look for me and figured I'd be better on my own. And if I'm being honest I'm still not over it a few months later.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before entering the restaurant. It wasn't overly crowded since it was late afternoon, meaning it was easy to find her. She sat in a booth on her phone with a cup of coffee next to her. I casually made my way over to her, taking one last breath, hoping to calm my nerves.

When I got to her table, I didn't have to say anything as she saw me, and a smile crossed her face, " You came?"

"Yeah," I said quietly.

"Please sit down. You have no idea how happy I am to see you," She explained.

You're right. I have no idea since we haven't seen each other for the better part of ten years. I remained silent, with the air becoming tense. I took my seat across from her and waited for her to speak

"Well, how have you been?" She asked nervously.

"I'm fine," I said.

"That's ... good," She said awkwardly.

"Yeah, it is," I said tensely. A waitress ended up coming over and asking if we wanted anything I told her a water would be fine while my Mom said she had coffee. Once the waitress left she did something unexpected.

She took a deep breath before reaching her hand across to touch mine. I yanked back and looked at her in shock why would she even try touching me after everything she's done.

"Look, Billy, I know you're angry with me and that what I did was wrong, and there's nothing I could ever do to makeup for abandoning you but all I wanted to tell you is that I'm sorry," She expalined.

She sounded sincere which I appreciated but it's going to take alot for me to forgive her.

"And if you'll give me a chance I would like to get to know you better," She asked.

"Okay what did you have in mind?" I asked unsure what she meant by getting to know me better.

"Well if you have the time I wanted to treat you to dinner and talk," She explained softly.

"Okay," I said queitly. I still hated my Mom but I could tell she was making an effort and it seemed as if she might be ready to be their for me, but time will tell.

We spent the next hour talking over dinner I told her all about Rosa and Victor and how I'm happy living with them. I talked about how awesome Freddie and the rest of my foster siblings are she said she was happy for me . She explained that she had a nice job working for a sewing company and that things are going good with her boyfriend Travis. I t seemed as if she might have her life together as did I.

I got so lost in talking with her I hadn't realized all the text messages I was getting in our family group chat.

Evreyone was worried out of there minds and wondering where I was. I sent a text telling them I'd be home soon and not to worry that I'm fine.

"Evreything alright?" My Mom asked taking a sip of water.

"Yeah my family is just wondering where I am." I expalined while texting, "I really need to get going."

"Okay well it was nice seeing you Billy," She said softly and a small smile. I stood up and smiled back.

"You too."

"And Billy I hope we can do this again, it was nice."

"Yeah sure."

I quickly headed out of the restaurant and headed to the closet subway station hoping no one would be too upset when I made it home. I knew Victor had a temper and I can still remember when he yelled my Ears off when I was skipping school and getting Freddie into trouble.

I just had to hope evreything would be fine.