Better Place Part Two

"Oh, thank god!" Rosa said as soon as I swung the door open. Rosa ran straight up to me and began checking me over, making sure I wasn't hurt.

"We were so worried, Billy, why didn't you tell us you weren't coming home with everyone else," Rosa asked.

"I told Freddie I thought he would tell you guys," I explained as I tried to brush Rosa away.

"Well, he didn't," I heard Victor say in the background.

"Oh... sorry?" I said awkwardly.

"It's okay," Victor replied.

"Just next time, please call or text one of us," Rosa asked, "Your safety is our top priority."

"I know, and I'm so sorry, just something came up last minute, and I completely forgot to tell you guys," I frantically apologized.

"As I said, it's okay. Just let us know next time. Okay?" Victor asked, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Okay," I said nodding.

I darted out of the entryway and headed upstairs to my room. When I got there, Freddie was on his bed with homework sprawled around him.

"Dude! Why didn't you tell Rosa and Victor where I was?" I asked lightly, punching Freddie in the arm.

"OW! Hello to you too," Freddie said, rubbing his arm, "And to answer you, I wasn't going to lie to them."

"Why would you be lying..." I began to say, stopping mid-sentence. Freddie was giving me a weird look that said: "I know your lying."

" Where were you actually? I called Bowie, and he said you haven't come by," Freddie asked.

I deeply sighed, knowing that I couldn't hide this from Freddie. Nothing gets past him. "Fine, I'll tell you just promise not to tell Rosa and Victor."

"Scout's honor."

"I went to go see my Mom."

If Freddie had two working legs, I'm sure he would have jumped out of bed in shock. Instead, his eyes almost bulged out of his head.

"You what? I thought you were done with that."

"No, dude, I'm not done with her. I can't just be done with her," I explained, taking a seat next to him.

"But I thought she didn't want you?"

"It's not that simple," I responded, staring into my hands.

"It sounds pretty simple to me."

"Well, it's not she wants to get to know me, so I figured I'd meet her after school and hear her out."

"I'm going to have to call bullshit on that."

"I'm serious. She wants to get to know me, so she texted me this morning and asked if I could meet her at this diner, and so I did, and we just sat there and talked."

Freddie took a deep breath before speaking again as if he was nervous about what to say next," So how'd it go?"

"It was fine. Actually better than fine, it was great," I said as a small smile escaped my mouth.

"You seem really happy. I've never seen you like this."

"Well, this is what I've always wanted to be with my Mom and to enjoy her company, and I think she might finally be ready."

"Ready for what?"

"To be my Mom."

"You're not leaving us, are you?" Freddie asked nervously.

"Hell no, I love it here, and besides, it was only one time it's going to take a lot more for me to trust her fully.

"Good, I don't think I could live without you," Freddie said, smirking.

"Me neither."

***Shazam!***

Over the next few weeks, I saw my Mom practically every day, it was great and a lot of fun. Freddie hadn't told anyone else where I was and what I was doing he even covered for me a few times when I was out a little later then I should have been, but hey that's why he's my best friend. I really thought that maybe my Mom was ready to take me in and perhaps actually be responsible for me, but then I was thrown a curveball.

So on a random Saturday in March, She invited me over to her apartment so she could show me around before she filed for custody of me. She was going to show me around, let me get comfortable before moving in. I had yet to mention this news to Rosa and Victor because, honestly, I'm nervous how they'll react, and I don't want to hurt them. After showing me around, we were going to head out for lunch. We were about to leave the apartment to go to lunch when my Mom's boyfriend came home.

Travis is a big burly man with barely any hair and grease and oil all over his face and hands. His appearance matched the voice that I heard all those months ago.

When he swung the door open to the apartment, my Mom yelped in fear, "Travis your home?!"

"Yeah, I forgot my charger," He began to say before his eyes fell on me, "Who's this?" He disapprovingly asked as if I was some random trash bag left in the middle of his floor.

My Mom gathered herself before coming over to me and placing her hand on my shoulder, "This is Billy."

"What's he doing here?" Travis asked, not losing eye contact with me.

"We were just about to go to lunch?" She responded.

"Why?" Travis asked angrily.

"Well, because he's my son," Mom said this while grimacing as if she was waiting for his temper to explode. and I knew with this guy he probably had one.

"Your son?!" Travis said as veins started to pop out of his head.

"Yes, my son," She responded timidly.

"You told me you had no kids," Travis yelled before punching the wall.

My heart jumped out of my chest, and my foster kid instinct's kicked in, telling me to GET OUT RIGHT NOW.

"It's a long story, Travis," She explained timidly.

"I hope it is because I don't like being lied too," Travis said as he began walking over to my Mom with his armed raise. Being in so many abusive foster homes, I knew what was going to happen next.

"STOP!" I yelled before grabbing Travis's arm. Travis wasn't angry or even mad; he was smiling.

"Ah, Marilyn, your son thinks he's a hero," Travis chuckled.

Before I could even react, he yanked me by the neck and slammed me into the wall.

"Hold it right there, Marilyn, and make sure you watch this. It's all for you," Travis said with venom in his voice.

I was having a hard time breathing, and I knew there was nothing I could do as Billy Batson since this guy was almost as big as the other me. I looked towards my Mom for support, but she was looking away in fear.

"You think you can come here. In my home and steal my woman," Travis viciously said, punching me in the ribs. "She's mine, and we don't have enough room for a little punk."

I could barely breathe and knew the only person that could help me was my Mom, so I looked to her for support.

"Mom Please," I choked out as I flailed my arms and legs, hoping to escape Travis's grasp. She looked up right into my eyes hearing me, but instead of coming over to my aid or even calling 911 or doing anything at all, she did the unthinkable and walked out fo the room.

I was in shock and knew right at this moment I was all alone against a monster.